This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

In whatever relationship we’re in, there are times where we try to look our “sexiest” for our boyfriends, dates or just the guy across the room who sends you a quick wink. There seems to be a general acceptance of certain sexy icons that we see in magazines such as Rosie Huntingdon-Whitely and Mila Kunis. In fact many of us girls have a picture of these icons in our heads when we head to the gym for a hard core treadmill session.

Admittedly, to have a body like that of Megan Fox is something that most would not complain about. However, Her Campus does feel that some of those fluffy articles in Cosmo and Glamour telling us “how to love ourselves”, and what “guys love about us”, have some truth. We do need to remember that there are things aside from cleavage that boys find attractive and that is these assets that we should try to maximise when trying to summon are inner sexy.

Firstly, look confident. Whatever shape or size you are, if you stand up straight, with good posture you will instantly stand out. If you look comfortable with your body, you instantly look sexier. Men are not instantly drawn to how tight your stomach is, but rather how well you present yourself. If you give an air of self-assurance and pride in your body, you will instantly look sexier.

At any point during a relationship- be it the initial meeting, or three years in, a characteristic of being sexy is how well you hold yourself in a conversation with your man and his friends. If, in conversation you can prove that you can make and take a joke, keep up with their “banter” about a man’s three favourite speaking points: sport, drinking and sex, and nod patiently when laughing at an obscure comedy reference, you can guarantee you will be a hit.

Strangely, an aspect of sexiness that we as over-thinking women cannot imagine being a good thing, is imperfection. For guys, it’s an act of trust, sex and pleasure if you don’t immediately correct your bed hair or wipe that mascara smudge away. Best of all, wearing a tee-shirt and pair of pants that you would normally reserve for a lazy day at home, is a great way of showing them you love yourself and they should too.

Finally, your body. It cannot be avoided that for most men a woman’s body is the dream. But, your man’s idea of a hot body is not necessarily what us ladies think and to know this is key to being sexy. As Her Campus have already stressed, confidence is really the one thing that will get a guy in whatever form you want him. It does not matter if you feel that you’re slightly soft around the edges, if they ask you on a second date then it’s surely not just for your stimulating conversation…Men cannot see that stretch mark or blemish we see in the mirror, they just see the bigger picture.

So girls, sexy is not just Sports Illustrated and FHM pages. Instead let’s look inside ourselves and begin to appreciate what we already have. If we take care of ourselves, carry ourselves confidently and flash a smile then we’re sexy.

Photo Credits: www.celebritieswalls.com, www.tumblr.com, www.sodahead.com