This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

What are crystals and do they work?

Spiritual health is a growing industry, and one of its most prevalent features is crystals. Having stumbled across a small crystal shop, I found myself walking away with a little paper bag filled with these mystical objects. It was only after they had been sat in my room for a while (seeming like another useless purchase), that I really considered what their use was. Despite being quite the cynic, I couldn’t help but want to believe that they could bring success into my life or perhaps reduce my stress levels. They work by the energy of the crystal interacting with your own energy (or chakra) to provide balance or alleviate negative vibes.

You may have already guessed that there is no scientific evidence to prove that crystals work. However, psychologist Dr Christopher French tested the effects of crystals on eighty volunteers. Half were given a genuine crystal for a few minutes whilst the rest were given a plastic fake, but were told that it was real. The volunteers were informed of sensations that they might experience which included tingling and increased attention. Dr French found no difference in the sensations reported by those holding a real crystal and those given a fake. Believers in crystals were also twice as likely to report one of these sensations as those who had admitted they were doubtful.

So I’ll let you decide if they are the real deal or not, but I will say that they do look very aesthetically pleasing in your room and even if you only feel like they work, it’s worth a shot.

How do I choose which crystal is right for me?

So you’ve decided to give them go, what do you do now? The majority of crystals come with a small information card and cost around £1 depending on what size you want, so it’s almost a guilt free purchase. You will either be drawn to their appearance or their alleged properties. It is important to determine what you want and find the crystal that complements this.

Pick a place at home

Having trouble sleeping? Find it impossible to concentrate when trying to meet that impossible essay deadline? Keep your crystal where it will be most effective. Whether this is under your pillow or on your desk, it might give you the confidence boost you need to achieve your goals.

Picture it working

Some crystals are even reputed to heal physical conditions. Whilst I do not recommend buying a crystal over booking your GP appointment, if you think it’ll help (even if it’s only a placebo effect), then go for it. Place it on the part of your body where it is supposed to help and imagine it working, as this is supposed to maximize its healing potential.

Carry it around with you

Keeping your crystal in your pocket or bag is an easy way to carry the positive vibes with you. I have kept one in my pencil case before for good luck during an exam, but you could even keep them on hand for an interview or occasion where you feel like you might need that extra bit of help. Some people even put them in infuser bottles, so that the crystal charges the water.

Considering all of this, Dr Richard Wiseman, a psychologist at the University of Hertfordshire, proposes: “It is suggestive that the power of crystals is in the mind instead of in the crystals. Clearly there is an effect, But people are paying hundreds of pounds for crystal and they might as well pay just a couple of quid.” If carrying a crystal makes you feel more confident or empowered in achieving your goals, then it is a few quid well spent.

I am a third year English Lit student at The University of Exeter.