dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Warning! Top Signs You Are In A Serious Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Okay, please don’t run away from this article (yes boys, that includes you too!): a serious relationship isn’t something to be scared of. I promise.  For some reason the first time a girl spends the night and doesn’t feel the need to sleep with her make up on, she freaks out – she must be in a serious relationship. For all those girls out there who are not sure, HCX have come up with a ‘top 10’ list of how to spot if you’re in a serious relationship to save you all those endless nights of worrying.

1. You can get angry at him for no reason

I’m the worst at this; no really, I get annoyed for no reason.  For the first who knows how many months I tried to not do this. Recently however, if I’m tired or not in the mood, I’ll quite happily snap for no apparent reason (I should really stop doing that).  As much as this is not the best thing to do, any loving boyfriend will know that at the end of the day you don’t mean it- realising you have an impending essay deadline or that you’re just overtired. If this is the case, a serious boyfriend will definitely try to cheer you up, making you a comforting cup of tea and switching on a marathon of your favourite TV programme just to make you feel better! On a positive note, it’s comforting to know that after all this time you can finally let a little bit of crazy out and you know he’s not going to run a mile!

1. You suddenly have an extra toothbrush in the bathroom

You know the relationship is serious when it’s no longer necessary to carry your toothbrush in your handbag when you leave for the evening – it’s just much handier to keep one at his house! In fact, you might even stumble into an extra toothbrush in your own bathroom one morning and then you know it’s definitely looking more serious!

1. He hints or even suggests meeting the family

Whether it’s your family or his, meeting the family is quite a big step (but still not something to be daunted by!).  It’s unlikely that he’s going to allow himself to meet your parents or even bring you home if you don’t mean something to him.

1. He’s your first phone call when you’re upset

Bad day, essay stress or just plain emotional? Is he number one on speed-dial? If he’s your first phone call and you know he will answer and come straight over to make you feel better, then you’re definitely in a more than a casual relationship.  This is even more of a sign of a serious relationship when he can predict what is wrong with you and knows how to make it better. Hint for the boys: a trashy film, fatty food and a cuddle will normally work.

1. You start attending events together

So, there’s a Christmas dinner or 21st coming up and it’s just presumed that he’ll be coming with you or you’ll be his plus one.  Not only is it nice to finally get the occasion for some nice photos with you both dressed up, but it’s pretty comforting to know that he’ll come with you and be by your side all night.

1. He’ll watch soppy chick flicks with you

Love Actually, P.S. I love you, The Notebook, you name it and he’ll watch it.  No matter how bad the film, or how predictable the ending, he’s still going to sit through it whether he enjoys it or not. To be honest, he’s probably going to mock you every time you cry or when it comes to the end of the film tell you it was rubbish and obvious from the start (duh, has he never heard of the phrase “boy meets girl”?!).  But, he did watch it with you…

1. It’s normal to be in each other’s houses

Whether he comes round to yours more often than you go to his, it doesn’t really matter for this purpose! It’s normal for him to have a chat with your housemates and hopefully for them to have a bit of a laugh together – it’s probably going to be at your expense, be prepared.  Your housemates are very used to seeing him around the house in the mornings, and his housemates have probably seen you either hungover or without make up.  This certainly relates to point number 2: that toothbrush has certainly not moved in a while.

8. Your wardobe migrates to his house

You might call it “emergency clothes” for that night that you didn’t plan to stay at his, but really, you now just keep a few sets of clothes there.  It’s just so much handier when you wake up to have a choice of what to wear instead of having to go back home, or (even worse) onto campus in last evening’s clothes. You might even have started to leave make up, a hairbrush or other morning necessities there!

1. He looks after you when you’re ill

You know the scene: you’re in bed, your 11am lecture is not happening because the throbbing pain in your head just won’t go away and you want nothing more than to be looked after. After a mere 5 minutes of complaining, you suddenly notice that someone has brought you ibuprofen, a glass of water and some toast. Perfection. If you’re lucky you’re even going to get to watch one of those soppy chick flicks! P.S. this also works if you look after him when he is ill or hungover: it’s a two way street girls.

1. There may be a mention of the “L” word

Now, be careful with this one please girls! This is as much of a warning as it is a hint. There does not have to be a mention of the L word for you to be in a serious relationship. This is a serious step! Evidently, if either of you have said this to each other (and hopefully if you have you’ve said it back) then this is a pretty large hint that you are in a serious relationship. However, in no guide does it say you HAVE to have mentioned this word before you can say you’re in a serious relationship: it could be the fastest way to ruin it!

Girls, this evidently isn’t an exhaustive list, but there are some fairly good hints in here as to whether or not you’re in a serious relationship! The final thing to note: TIME. If you’ve been together for a long time now, I think it’s safe to call it serious!

If you are still confused about what sort of relationship you have, how about checking out our Relationship Dictionary!

Photo credits: http://www.glamquotes.com, http://askinyourface.com santosfdane.tumblr.com

Lauren is the President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Exeter, as well as the Manager of UK Expansion and a National Writer for HerCampus.com. While she has worked with Her Campus Exeter it has achieved Pink Chapter Level status and has grown to its current status as one of the most successful chapters internationally. She's determined to grow Her Campus in the UK this year and so is looking foward to working on increasing the number of HC UK chapters and to helping the established chapters improve and develop. This summer she was lucky enough to intern in the Her Campus Head Office in Boston, and had the most amazing time -- any time she can go back, she will! In her spare time Lauren loves to play tennis, catch up with her friends, go for long walks in the Scottish countryside or to watch chick-flicks under her duvet. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @laurenhudson25.