Valentine’s Day Gifts for Every Stage of a Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and with that comes the pressure of getting the person you’re seeing a gift. Gifts can say a lot about you’re relationship, what you’re feeling and how much you like the person you’re seeing. It can also be very stressful in trying to ascertain, guess and decide what to get your partner when you’re not sure what to get. This article attempts to help you decide what to get the person you’re seeing, no matter what stage of the relationship you’re in. Hopefully this will ease some of the stress and anxiety that comes with Valentine’s Day gift choices.

too early to call them a ‘boyfriend’ or ‘girlfriend’

If you’re at the early stages when it’s too early to call and label the person you’re seeing by the relevant term ‘boyfriend’ or ‘girlfriend’ then listen up. If you’re in this stage, it means it’s most likely too early to give the person you’re seeing over-the-top gifts. When you’re in the early stages, a small gift says more rather than an expensive and large gift. By giving a small gift it shows the person you’re seeing that you’re thinking about them on Valentine’s Day and it suggests that you’re looking forward to focusing on them. This small gift could be something that they would use on a regular basis (whether that’s part of their passion or hobby) because it would show that you’ve been paying attention to details about their life. An alternative gift would be something that you’ve made, which could be baked, showing that it’s a meaningful gift and that you wanted to give the person you’re seeing something special.

1 – 3 months

First of all, congratulations on being an official couple! It’s a very exciting time. Now that you’re relationship is just getting started, gifts on Valentine’s Day should be very casual and simple. Gifts such as chocolate, perfume, their favourite scented candles, a cute coffee mug filled with their favourite sweets, favourite bottle of alcohol etc are great in that they show you’ve been paying attention to what your partner likes.

3 – 6 months

This is typically the time when the infamous ‘honeymoon’ phase of a relationship comes to an end and things start to get more serious. But this doesn’t mean the gifts you give have to be serious! You could make a romantic dinner together followed by some sexy games such as DIY Adult Jenga or a card game for couples that have conversation starters on them. Alternative suggestions are if they have a favourite makeup brand or product or if you both like to drink you could make some DIY cocktails by gifting a cocktail set, which come with everything you need to make the perfect cocktails – most come with recipes but you can also google some too!

6 months to a year

Jewellery is a great option during this relationship stage, since it’s very personal, can be personalised and makes a big statement too. It’s also one of those gifts that you can wear with you everyday, since it will be with you wherever you go. Alternatively, by this stage of the relationship you’ve probably taken a lot of photos over the past months so you could gift a framed favourite moment to your partner, which is another really personal gift. The frame doesn’t have to be anything special, it can go with the vibe in the room you want it to go in, or you can get personalised frames with your names on, so it depends on what you want to do. Another good idea is creating a playlist of songs for your partner which could be either your favourite songs or songs that remind you of them. This gift can be combined with some headphones that your partner may have been wanting – it’s a good ‘two in one’ present. Another idea is some plant gifts these could be flowers such as roses, orchids, a bonsai tree or a bamboo arrangement in the shape of a heart for example.

1 year

Your first year is a big milestone in your relationship. A one year subscription service shows that you’re in it for the long haul and is something for you to both enjoy. This is a long-term gift that symbolises that you believe in this relationship and that you’re here for it. Alternatively you could get an at-home-dinner and treat yourselves to a gourmet steak dinner (there are dinner options for vegetarians and vegans, this is just an example). Essentially these dinner options are a complete meal for two and you can enjoy it together at home on Valentine’s Day. Another good option for your first year is jewellery.

dating for a few years and / or living together

Gifts such as clothes, purses, wallets, bags or handbags are a great option for your partner since by this stage of the relationship you’ll definitely know their likes and dislikes. Alternatively, if you both like coffee you could get your partner a coffee machine. This is a great gift in that it is really a gift for both of you!

newlyweds

After newlyweds’ wedding and honeymoon, most newlyweds have been given the items that they wanted for their life together. So instead you could give your partner a photo printed on canvas, some keepsake jewellery or something that can be engraved or embroidered. For example, a great gift is the coordinates or map of the location or night’s sky that you were married on. This is a thoughtful gift to remember and keep the memories that you made together on that day. Alternatively you could give your partner something practical for your home, whether that’s something like sheets, and is again a great gift in that you both get to appreciate this gift.

married for less than 10 years

Relationships in this category can unfortunately be pushed on the back burner because of the demands that will be going on in your life, whether that’s jobs, careers, raising a family or looking after family members. You inevitably have lots of priorities to take care of, but that doesn’t mean your Valentine’s Day should be forgotten or unacknowledged. Instead, you could treat your partner to their favourite things, which is a great gift in that you know they will love it, continue to use it and get to think of you whilst you’re using it.

married for over 10 years

A great gift for this relationship status is to refresh your wedding album. For example, you could write comments throughout the album of your favourite memories and things that made you laugh on the day. Alternatively, you could make an album of your favourite memories and photos over the years and throughout the course of your relationship.

I'm the Sex and Relationships Editor for Exeter and a third year student studying Classical Studies and English with a passion for literature, art and film!