Culture > News

The US Mid-term Elections – Meet the Women Making American History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

For the first time in a while, American election results have brought us good news! The mid-terms last week, the first since Trump was elected in 2016, saw US citizens cast their votes to elect Congress. While the results are not the complete condemnation of Trumpism that some may have hoped for, they have seen the Democrats take back control of the House of Representatives and have made landmark history in more ways than one. Admittedly, there is still a way to go in achieving a truly representational American government, with women making up just under 20% of the members of Congress. However, the progress seen by these election is sure to be the beginning of ground-breaking change. Not only did this year’s pool of candidates see huge increases in LGBTQ+ representation, but the results have seen over 100 women being elected to the House of Representatives for the first time. So, without further ado, let me introduce you some of these fantastic females, who are paving the way for change and making American history.

Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar

Both of these women represent the first time a Muslim woman has ever been elected to Congress. For Rashida Tlaib, whose campaign priorities included the introduction of a $15 minimum wage and the prevention of cuts to health care, this is not the first time she has made a record like this. Tlaib became the first woman to serve in Michigan legislature back in 2008, and if that wasn’t enough, she is also now the first Palestinian-American woman to be elected to Congress. Ilhan Omar’s accomplishments are by no means any less impressive; having fled civil war as a child before resettling in the US, she has won a House seat for Minnesota with becoming the first Somali-American woman to be elected to Congress, propelled by a campaign centred on a message of hope and progression. The achievements of these women are hugely significant and come only two years after Trump’s ‘travel ban’, which restricted the entry of citizens from six Muslim countries to the US. The election wins of Tlaib and Omar are a step in the right direction for Muslim and immigrant representational and visibility and truly deserved of celebration.

Sharice Davids and Deb Haaland

In another double landmark victory, both Sharice Davids and Deb Haaland have become the first Native American women to be elected to Congress. Davids, a member of the Ho-Chunk Nation, has advocated her desire to stand up and fight for equity. Having worked in the White House during Obama’s term, she is a politician and all- around fierce woman (also being an ex- professional mixed martial artist) is also now the first openly gay Native American congresswoman. Haaland, a member of the Laguna Pueblo people, is also rocking the boat, having been the first Native- American woman to chair a state party in 2015. It’s not a surprise that both of these women include messages of fighting for the dignity, justice and safety of marginalised communities in their campaigns. Native Americans have a history of being excluded from US politics, with tribes not being granted citizenship until 1924 and many still not being allowed to vote for years following that. There’s no doubt that the victories of these two women are hugely symbolic and signify powerful changes in marginal representation.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

At the age of 29, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is the youngest woman to be elected to Congress, having won her race in New York with 78% of the vote. Ocasio-Cortez made headlines earlier this year when her campaign ad – which was totally homemade and shot by volunteers – went viral on social media, and has now reached nearly four million views. Her campaign was focused on ‘getting the money out of politics’, which cannot have been better demonstrated by her entirely relatable announcement this week that she can’t afford to stay in Washington until after she has taken up her office in January. It’s safe to say that she is a breath of fresh air into the world of politics and is undoubtedly going to be a force to be reckoned with.

These promising election results are proof that no matter how belittled and undermined many may feel by Trump and his misogynistic attitudes, women and the minorities have a voice in society –  a voice that is getting louder.

Third-year History and Ancient History studying in Exeter, UK. Perpetual napper, terrible message replier, and chocolate lover!