This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

If you’re anything like us at Her Campus, a little dose of fake tan can be your perfect pick-me-up to beat the ‘winter blues’. Some of us just aren’t programmed to pull off the porcelain skinned looks of Lily Cole and Christina Hendricks. Whether you’re looking for a hint of summer glow, or trying to convince everyone that you’ve just jetted back from a week on the French Riviera, there’s something for everyone out there. So this week, we’ve tried and tested two methods of fake tan to help you achieve a glowing complexion this Autumn. First up, Fashion and Beauty Editor Lily Houghton reviews…

Plumberry Beauty Suite Spray Tan

As a fair-skinned girl, and spray tan virgin, I’ve always approached the matter of fake tans with caution. I had many terrible moments in high school when my overnight tan turned my legs into walking strips of streaky bacon. Likewise, forgetting my tendency to burn, on holiday I would sit in the sun optimistically hoping for a golden glow, only to look in the mirror a few hours later in horror at my blotchy red skin. On a night out, it’s always been the case of using instant rub on formulas, which are time consuming and difficult to apply evenly.  The price has always put me off spray tans, so when HCX heard that Plumberry Beauty Suite were offering the students of Exeter spray tans for an amazing £5 (reduced from £25) I had to give it a go to see if there was a chance of ever achieving an elusive bronzed complexion.

Plumberry Beauty Suite is a home run beauty salon located on Preston Street, slightly further down from Mosaic on the student map of Exeter. I was greeted by the owner Charley Plumb who ushered me into the suite and showed me to the hair cap and paper knickers. Charley, originally from Bromley, formerly worked at Fortnum and Mason’s Beauty Spa in Piccadilly before relocating to Exeter with her marine husband. She uses a Fake Bake tan in one natural shade, which doesn’t smell too strong, and gradually develops over the course of the day. She put Vaseline on my elbows to avoid patches, and sprayed two layers of tan to ensure even coverage which took about 10 minutes. As I waited for it to dry, I was thrilled to see something I had never seen before… a tan line. For those of you with sensitive skin like myself, I was relieved to see that the tan didn’t irritate it at all. Charley also gave me a file and polish, which is also £5, so I went for deep red shade to go with my tan, with square shaped nails. As we chatted, she explained that she wanted to offer students an affordable tan as it’s not something many can splash out on, hence the £5 deal every Thursday. Before I left, I was instructed not to shower until the next day, so off I went hoping it wouldn’t rain.

When I got home, I was rather startled at just how brown my face was, as it had seemed to come out particularly strong there. However, I got several compliments from friends in Arena, who having seen me the day before, admired the overnight bronzed look. It definitely made me look slimmer, and even made my teeth look whiter! I showered the next morning, and the tan started to look a bit less dramatic, which I preferred. It is just a matter of how brown you like to go, so if you have an event on, I would recommend getting a spray tan the day before, and showering off the excess the next day. You’ll have a glow for up to a week afterwards, so if you have a party, or just want a bit of pampering, head down to Plumberry Beauty Suite on a Thursday for a bargain spray tan or manicure.

Check out what Plumberry Beauty Suite has to offer, and book on 07825 271992.

[pagebreak]

Next up, Fashion and Beauty writer Francesca Trafford reviews…

MakeBelieve Self Tan Lotion

You probably know how difficult choosing a fake tan can be – too light and you don’t notice it (this applies to the olive-skinned girls), or too dark/orange (you may think this only applies to paler girls, but trust us, it can happen to anyone!) and you end up looking more Geordie Shore than St. Tropez, so finding an all-round product can be a bit of a nightmare.

At £24.50 it may not be the cheapest of fake tans, but MakeBelieve have set themselves apart from most fake tans with the multi-functional Self Tan Lotion. Not only does it give you that coveted healthy glow, but the lotion also helps to keep skin toned and supple and even reducing signs of cellulite!

With just one coat my skin was given a healthy glow that was the perfect bronze without any hint of orange in sight and can be built up for a more intense tan. Obviously for those with paler tones, this will give a darker finish, so use with caution. The lotion left skin feeling soft and hydrated, and fake tan veterans will be delighted to know that there was no infamous ‘biscuit’ smell to be found; instead, you are treated to a fruity, almost caramel like scent. The tan lasted 4 days before it showed any signs of fading away, but you can prolong it with another light layer 2-3 days after the first application.

Our top tips for faking it like the best of them?

• First and foremost, the three E’s; exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate. we cant stress enough how important it is to give yourself a totally fresh canvas to work with, so get scrubbing!

• When applying your tan, always uses either gloves or a mitt. Not only will you avoid the dreaded orange palms, but using a mitt will also help you blend and reach all those nooks and crannies.

• After you’ve coated yourself, grab some talcum powder and cover yourself from top to toe. Not only will it ‘set’ the tan, but you can jump into bed straight afterwards without worrying about tanning your sheets too! 

So whether you’re looking for full-on fakery or a hint of gold, MakeBelieve and Plumberry Beauty Suite have you covered!

Photo credits: http://makebelievebeauty.com/

Francesca is a third year BA Marketing, Management and French student at Exeter, and when she isn't busy running around campus to yet another lecture, you can find her tucked into the corner of a sofa writing her beauty and lifestyle blog; f.s.h.t . Francesca fell in love with fashion and beauty through stories of her grandmother being a model in the sixties, and ever since then she's been on a mission to try every beauty product out there, and is happy to make a mistake every now and again so you don't have to! Aside from all the extra-curricular activities (she's also the President of the Marketing Society), Francesca loves spending time in the kitchen with her friends, cooking comfort food for everyone, with a cup of tea in one hand and a wooden spoon in the other, giving her the well-deserved nickname of 'Mummy'. Although not a keen sportsman, Francesca's favourite thing in life is skiing; during her gap year she worked a season in France, where she claims she had the best few months of her life! After she leaves university, Francesca is planning a career in the PR industry, working for companies who specialise in skiing, beauty or luxury travel, so finger's crossed! You can find her blog here: http://www.fsht.me/
Lily Houghton is in her final year at Exeter studying English. With an unhealthy addiction to shopping, and unparalled knowledge of Exeter's retail sector, the role of Fashion and Beauty Editor seemed to be made for Lily, and her parents were thrilled she channelled her energy towards something that didn't involve spending money. Whilst her goal of bringing the catwalks of Milan and Paris to the sunny south of England may be slighty ambitious, she also hopes to banish the jeans/flip-flop trend from campus once and for all, and impose an immediate expulsion rule on anyone seen in daylight in a onesie. Contradictory to many women interested in fashion, she loves cake, her Ugg boots, and spending an afternoon immersed in an Emily Dickinson anthology. She hopes to travel America before going into the fashion industry, although she still hasn't come to terms with just how soon she will be graduating.