burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Trend Defense: From Crocs to Bell Sleeves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Some trends go down in history and become wardrobe staples: the LBD, crisp white shirts, or a classic black blazer. Some trends aren’t so lucky.

Everybody has those pieces that are a little more Marmite, ones that you have to justify to your friends when you show them what you’re wearing for your next night out (sliders, we’re looking at you). Well here at HCX we most definitely know the feel, and we’re coming to the rescue for some your more controversial items of clothing.

Take Crocs for example. Fashion’s most hated shoe? We don’t think so. People may mock this particular choice of footwear, but we know what’s up. Crocs are actually really comfortable and at a bargain £29.99 for a pair of classic Crocs, they’re definitely the most affordable of all the ugly shoes you could buy. With the likes of Kate Middleton and Jared Leto, who’s to say they aren’t stylish?

The rules that govern what’s fashionable are forever fluctuating and changing, but as long as you’re into it: feeling comfortable and fly, then it’s cool. Pool sliders and bucket hats continue to divide, but maybe they divide and conquer. While many people exhibit aversions to these items, there’s no doubt that they take the world by storm. Everyone knows that the #flipflopstateofmind is one that is sought after and desired, and yet, it’s still looked down to wear your sliders to the club. But go wear them and feel good, while everyone else is eyeing you up jealously. And that bucket hat of yours is totally keeping the sun out of your eyes.

Often, when a trend becomes “contentious,” it’s because guys don’t like it. And we want to put a stop to that right now. While this one isn’t quite the same as divisive between the girls, it’s still negativity that we do not need in our lives. Men may be getting over our love of mom jeans, bright red lipstick and peplums, 2016 brought in a whole host of new garments for them to complain about. The biggest? Bell sleeves. We love all of the drama that comes with their gorgeous volume, but apparently men most definitely do not.

Again though, who cares?

Wearing the most controversial trends and the weirdest pieces you can find is not only the best way to own your style, but also the key to your personal evolution and growth. Turning heads is the aim, not the penalty.