Travel Blog: Scotland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Scotland in one word: underrated. Okay, so I may be inherently biased as I am Scottish, but virtually everyone I know who has visited Scotland has been surprised at how much they enjoyed it. Whether you’re looking for a weekend break in the (sometimes cold) countryside or you want to visit Edinburgh and Glasgow for some sight-seeing and shopping, then Scotland is a great bet for your holiday. The best bit is that trains and flights are so cheap if you book them in advance! For example, you can get a train from London to Glasgow for £13 if you book far enough in advance, or fly EasyJet to Glasgow for £27.99: perfect on that student budget!

Whether you’re coming up north with the girls or with your partner there are plenty of things for you to do in sunny Scotland* this summer, and here are just a few of my suggestions:

The Edinburgh Festival

No matter what your interests are, The Edinburgh Festival and The Fringe have something for everyone: comedy, dance, theatre, street performers, music, spoken word – I mean it. Everything!  This is one place you really do want to be this August. There are some acts I would recommend buying tickets for in advance – such as the well-known comedians – but you can happily wander round the streets of the Old Town on the day and pick up flyers and discover many, many shows. In fact, last year, I spent two days in Edinburgh, saw four completely different shows and had only bought tickets for one of them. Top tip: this one’s a parent pleaser too, so if your parents are looking for a weekend break over the August bank holiday, this could be the one for you. But be warned: book your hotel early – they can get very pricey, very quickly! Find out more here.

Shopping

Apparently, according to The Telegraph, Glasgow is one of the top 6 cities outside London for shopping – and I happen to agree! Whether you’re looking for some great vintage shops or for high street and designer brands, Glasgow certainly has it all. Make sure you head to the West End for some quirky, individual stores and some great vintage shops. The best bit about this place, apart from the great coffee shops and restaurants, is that you’re a quick subway trip away from the town centre: and even more shops! Buchanan Street, and the newly renovated House of Fraser, is your best bet if you’re looking for high street and many of the designer shops. In fact, House of Fraser is now home to many of the top designer brands: it’s heaven, and temptation whenever I walk through that beautiful shop. Finally, head down to the Merchant City if you’re looking for a few more high end shops and the best brunch/drink spots in town – just what you need before and after a long day of shopping!

The Country

If you haven’t seen some Scottish countryside by the time you’ve left then you’re missing out. Being fortunate enough to live only half an hour from Loch Lomond, I highly recommend a trip. P.S. Ask a Scottish person how to say Loch: there is no ‘k’ in it! Even if you only manage to see this beautiful place for a few hours or an afternoon, it’s definitely worth it…I’ve even had some great days here when it was raining! I recommend taking a picnic and sitting on the beach (maybe under a big gold umbrella) and reading a good book. It might not sound like much, but there are some beautiful, peaceful, scenic places: places that should not be missed.

St Andrews

It’s where Kate met Wills; it’s the home of golf and it’s lovely. Okay, so there isn’t much here, but what there is, is worth seeing! Whether you want to treat yourself to a beautiful lunch at the Old Course Hotel, or a quiet lunch in one of St Andrews’ many cafés, this little town is a gorgeous place to visit. Hopefully you’ll need your sunglasses when you visit as this town is even better when basked in the sun. Take a walk down one of the many beaches, take a (quick!) walk round the town itself or if you’re here in summer make sure you play mini golf! If you’re only up for a short time, then St Andrews isn’t too far from Edinburgh and only a couple of hours from Glasgow in the car, and is definitely worth a day trip. There are also plenty of nice pubs and bars in which to quench your thirst: even better!

Whether you can only make it up to Scotland for a few days, there is so much that you should see: and this is only a taster. Obviously, the sightseeing in Edinburgh – particularly the Castle – is a must-see if you have the time, and could work perfectly if you were making a trip for the Festival this August. But if you do have the time, Glasgow, St Andrews and the countryside of Scotland have some gorgeous things to offer, with the added bonuses of short travel, no currency conversion and it can be cheaper than going abroad. I don’t really know what’s stopping you!

*Disclaimer: it probably (read: definitely) will rain/be cloudy/cold/grey at some point – but most of the rumours about Scottish weather are FALSE!

Image Credits: www.andersontours.co.uk, www.lochlomond-scotland.co.uk, www.todaysgolfer.co.uk

Lauren is the President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Exeter, as well as the Manager of UK Expansion and a National Writer for HerCampus.com. While she has worked with Her Campus Exeter it has achieved Pink Chapter Level status and has grown to its current status as one of the most successful chapters internationally. She's determined to grow Her Campus in the UK this year and so is looking foward to working on increasing the number of HC UK chapters and to helping the established chapters improve and develop. This summer she was lucky enough to intern in the Her Campus Head Office in Boston, and had the most amazing time -- any time she can go back, she will! In her spare time Lauren loves to play tennis, catch up with her friends, go for long walks in the Scottish countryside or to watch chick-flicks under her duvet. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @laurenhudson25.