This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

When looking for the latest seasonal trends, we are never short of inspiration thanks to the clear-cut layout of Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter catalogues, campaigns and online shopping edits. But what about transitional months such as September, when the warm haze of Summer is relenting and the first crisp mornings of Autumn begin? More importantly, when the weather just can’t seem to make up its mind? Living in Britain, this is supposedly a phenomenon we are all too familiar with and we have dealt with this by mastering the art of layering and never forgetting the pocket waterproof mac.

However, tackling this transition need not be merely practical. Many ways of mixing and matching Summer and Autumn trends can make for some pretty striking combinations. Also, this eliminates the heart-wrenching task of deciding what pieces can go back into hibernation for another year. Let’s take a look at some trends that endure thoughout the summer and how they can be transformed into a practical as well as stylish transitional look.

Trend: Light and Flowing Garments

If you’re a flower child at heart like me, loose frills and maxi dresses covered in dreamy prints are never too far from sight. Channeling this throughout Autumn can be achieved by wearing a chunky knit jumper over a summer dress. On warmer days, a jumper can be substituted for a faux fur gillet, leaving the sleeves free for all to see. This effortlessly creates a free-spirited 70’s vibe. Another flowing sensation that never fails is the pleated skirt, a jumper can be worn half tucked in at the front to keep the illusion of length, also playing with baggy and sleek, feminine forms combines two of our favourite things: comfort and glamour!

Trend: Culottes

Culottes and plathora of other wide leg trousers types were very prominent this summer. For autumn, they can live on by swapping the usual companion, the crop top, for a fitted polar neck, wearing them high at the waist. This creates a strong a-line silhouette. An evergreen statement piece throughout the decades has been the classic blazer or tailored jacket, making for a powerhouse match for culottes. Now you can incorporate this summer trend into your autumn wardrobe whilst conveying the power dressing of the 80’s that’s making an appearance this current season. This suited look will speak to the fierce and driven woman within!

Trend: Glitter and light metallic makeup

Light sheens of metallic, highlight and glitter abounds during the summer, especially during festival season. However, this is very much a trend that translates to winter glitz very easily. A few subtle changes can be made to grunge up this delicate, festival-fairy look, such as wearing a dark lipstick. Suitable contenders could be plumb, rust or brown with a pale sparkly eye shadow. Alternatively, pair a pale/frosty glittered lipstick with a smudged, morning after eye or bold sixties lashes. If you want to go a step further, try swapping the beach waves for a sleek and straight look and a strong brow.

Next time you worry about having to let go of the minimal effort and carefree attitude that comes with summer dressing, I hope this handful of fun and playful combinations inspire you when experimenting across the seasons.