Top Tips for Surviving Long Distance Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Skype Dates and Limited Facebook Stalking: 

The new semester brings with it opportunities for new friends and potential love interests. However those of you who have embarked on a summer romance with a heart-throb from home know only too well that the new term brings with it time apart and distance. Whist your single friends maybe hitting TP Wednesday’s to shark on the talent, you will be sitting at home pining for your Mr Darcy hundreds of miles away. Never fear, help is at hand. Long distance love no longer needs to result in: self indulging in Sainsbury’s basics ice-cream, maxing out the overdraft on extreme retail therapy at Rampant Sporting and Urban Outfitters or the end of said holiday romance. No, no, no, long distance relationships CAN last and if you follow these simple tips, in no time long distance could lead to long term love and happiness.

1. Arrange a Skype Date:

Remember girls, we live in the 21st century so take full advantage of the technology available. Skype is basically the Cupid of long distance love so arrange a Skype date with lover boy every week and watch the distance between you dwindle away. Being able to see one another face-to-face is an excellent substitute for the standard mobile call and are completely free so you don’t have to worry about horrendous phone bills! Dressing up to the nines and enjoying a scrumptious meal during these dates is always a plus- remember absence makes the heart grow stronger…so be sure to show your man what is he missing!

2. Keep Facebook Stalking to a Minimum:

Whilst Facebook is an excellent way to keep in contact, try not to obsess over your boyfriends latest photos. Don’t get jealous if you see him with a leggy beauty because if it really was an issue- he probably wouldn’t be so stupid to have said beauty plastered all over Facebook. Take pride in the fact that your man has chosen you. If he didn’t want to be with you, he wouldn’t have agreed to continue your relationship so trust him. As a good friend of mine said “no-one wants to go out with a psycho stalker” so spend more time talking over Facebook than stalking!

3. Set Milestones:

Just because you are far away from one another, does not mean that you are never going to see each other ever again. Arranging a weekend together every couple of weeks will allow you to have something to work towards. That way you won’t be constantly wondering when the next time you see each other is going to be and actually enjoy your time apart! Don’t worry about missing out on anything in Exeter the Lemmy will always be here for you, your boyfriend on the other hand may not so plan at least one trip a term to go and see him! That doesn’t mean your boyfriend can’t come visit here though. After all, it would just be plain selfish if you deprived all your friends from meeting the boy who has stolen the heart of their former singleton.

4. Plan fun things to do together:

When it comes to eventually see one another, plan fun things to do together. This way, the time you do spend together will be special and you will have something to look forward to when having a late night cram in the library. This doesn’t have to involve lots of money (although that is totally allowed), it could just mean a romantic walk or a fun picnic. Whatever you choose to do, make sure you enjoy yourselves and each other to make all the time you spend together count!

5. Enjoy Yourself:

Just because your boyfriend is hundreds of miles away does not mean that you have to turn into Queen Victoria (staying indoors, dressed in black). You are both living separate lives so enjoy yourself when you are apart. Go out! Be a wing-woman for your friends- chicks before dicks, hoes before bro’s and all that jazz. Whatever happens, there is no point being in a relationship if you are not happy so live your life and worry about the boyfriend later. After all YOLO.

Follow these handy tips and before you know it, it will be Christmas time and you will be back in the arms of your beloved kissing under the mistletoe. Say goodbye to long distance depression and hello to a long lasting relationship! 

Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.