Top Healthy Hangover Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s the morning after the night before and all you want to do is curl up in a ball, watch endless re-runs of Friends and Grand Designs and eat carbohydrates. Before you reach for the phone and speed-dial Dominos, have a go at these three easy recipes that are both tasty and better for you than pizza.

1) Apple, Berry and Mint Smoothie

This one is a little tricky if you don’t have a blender. But if you do, a world of smoothie combinations awaits. This smoothie is not only tasty and easy to make, but is very good for you. Strawberries contain lots of vitamin C for a healthy immune system. Raspberries contain lutein, which is essential for healthy vision, and both berries are full of antioxidants. Mint is great for aiding digestion, and apples provide vitamins and fibre.

• Chop up your fruit and add to the blender. You can use frozen berries instead of fresh.
  • Add a few sprigs of mint.
  • Squeeze in a little lemon juice.
  • Add a few cubes of ice.
  • Add a glug of apple juice, enough to cover the fruit.
  • Blend and serve!

2) Poached Egg and Smoked Salmon on Toast

Poached eggs may sound scary, but they are easier to cook than you might think. There are even gadgets available to make sure your poaching is perfect if cooking isn’t your thing. Eggs are a brilliant source of protein and choline, both of which are essential for a healthy brain. Smoked salmon is one of the best sources of Omega-3 Fatty acids, which helps keep your heart healthy and boosts your mood.

• Boil a kettle, half-fill a large saucepan, and put on a low heat.
  • Add a tiny dash of vinegar to the water (this helps stop the egg from breaking apart-you won’t taste it).
  • Crack an egg into a bowl and check for bits of shell.
  • Grab a wooden spoon and use the end of it to make a whirlpool in the middle of the pan of water.
  • Add the egg to this whirlpool.
  • Leave the egg in the boiling water for about 3 or 4 minutes, depending on how hard you want the yolk.
  • Using a large spoon (preferably with drainage holes) carefully remove the egg from the saucepan.
  • If you’re feeling brave, make some Hollandaise sauce and have Eggs Royal.
  • Make some toast (wholemeal bread if you’re being good) and place a few slices of smoked salmon on top, and the poached egg on top of that. Yum.

3) Homemade Carbonara

This may not be quite as healthy as the other two recipes, but you really can’t beat home-made carbonara when it comes to curing hangovers. It isn’t complicated to make, and you can always make double the amount and have it for lunch the next day. The milk in the white sauce is a source of calcium, the ham provides protein and the pasta will leave you feeling full and happy.

• Pour some pasta into a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Use about 80g per person, and any type you want.
  • To make the white sauce, melt 25g of butter in a small saucepan.
  • Take off the heat and stir in 25g of plain flour, a little at a time.
  • When you get a doughy sort of mixture, put back on a low heat and add 500ml of milk a little at a time, until you get a smooth creamy sauce.
  • Add salt and pepper to taste.
  • Other things you can add at this point: cooked mushrooms, mustard, cheese, ham, bacon or smoked salmon.
  • Drain the pasta, and add to the white sauce with the other ingredients you’ve chosen.
  • Heat for about a minute until the pasta is thoroughly mixed in.

Photo credits: foodforfriendsyeah.co.uk, superchargedfood.com, belles-affaires.blogspot.co.uk

Caroline Butten is a Third Year English student at The University of Exeter. She is planning to pursue a career in Publishing after graduating next Summer, and finds being President of the Exeter chapter of Her Campus is a great way to develop her editorial, marketing and business skills. As well as writing and editing articles for Her Campus, Caroline has a lifestyle blog and enjoys posting about fashion, beauty and baking. Her favourite publications include the UK magazines Company, Glamour and Cosmopolitan. Favourite books include The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë and any kind of cookery book. On campus, she is a part of the Netball and Lacrosse Clubs, and also studies French language as part of her degree. After University, Caroline plans to spend some time working in Paris both to improve her French and to explore in depth the city she loves.