Top 5 Spring Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Here at Her Campus Exeter, we’ve been in awe of all the S/S 14 ready to wear shows. Who could forget Cara Delevigne as the gorgeous Chanel bride with Karl Lagerfeld’s godson as her page boy (beyond cute)? But gazing at these beautiful creations tugs on our heart (and purse) strings, leaving us asking ourselves ‘How can I get that Victoria Beckham monochrome look?’ or ‘Will I ever be able to afford that Giles pink dress?’ 

Have no fear ladies, HCX have whittled down the runway trends from the angry flowers seen at Christoper Kane to the abundance of pleats at Proenza Schouler, and created a list of our top 5 most wearable Spring 2014 trends. And to top it off we’ve found the best high street versions of the designer items, all from shops you can find in Exeter- don’t say we don’t spoil you!!

1. Shirts 

A classic white shirt should be a permanent staple in any girl’s wardrobe. Don’t be fooled into thinking they’re just for job interviews, a tailored white shirt can look chic any day of the week. This season however why not opt for a shirt-dress which is currently having a moment- look to Nina Ricci for inspiration- or try a masculine shape as seen at Paul Smith. But beware ladies, putting on your boyfriend’s shirt definitely does not count- instead head to Zara and pick up this bargain for £25.99!

2.  90s Laidback Chic

The spirit of the 90s is forever evident in fashion, especially with trends such as grunge and britpop. However this spring it’s taking the form of easy living, minimal and luxe; think walking along the streets of St. Tropez. This look was seen at MaxMara and Hermès to name just a couple, but why not channel Issey Miyake’s footwear by investing in this pair of shoes from New Look (£19.99). Team them with a white backpack and a cute skirt and you’ll make the Forum feel like Club Cinquante Cinq.

[pagebreak]

3. Fondant

Fondant fancies and macaroons in a rainbow of shades are your inspiration for this trend. Pastels have returned this season brighter and better than ever; rejuventated, saturated and dazzling. Brighten up this awful Devon weather with a cute lemon dress like at Ralph Lauren, or update the pink coat trend that was all over the high street over Christmas with this zingy rose coloured coat from Oasis. It is part of the new Loved by Mollie range (the beautiful Mollie King from The Saturdays) and is slightly pricier at £110 but a great investment that will see you through until summer. It is also a great, wearable take on the J JS Lee S/S 14 look- so all in all a fabulous coat!

4. Monochrome 

You could call this cheating, or you could call it being efficient (I’m going with the latter); we have combined 3 of the top trends from this season- monochrome, flowers and pleats and found the perfect pair of trousers which complement all 3. We give you the Topshop Pleat Flower Cigarette Trousers (£42.00). These trousers are the perfect way to ensure you stay fashion-savvy but because of the three-way design, they are basically saving you money (sort of…)! Monochrome is another trend which never seems to fully desert the runways, so this season go with its rejuvenation; bold monochrome prints as seen at Chanel, Edun and Emanuel Ungaro.

5. Luxe Sportswear 

As you have probably noticed, fluroescent Nike trainers seem to be adorning the feet of many girls on campus at the moment. So if you’re a fan of this, don’t misinterpret this trend- these clothes are NOT designed to be worn to the gym. Swap your gym leggings and jumper for something slightly out of your comfort zone this New Year and purchase a satin bomber jacket or silk track pants; a more radiant and luxurious way to channel your inner sportswomen. Our favourite piece is almost an identical copy of a dress seen at DKNY this season. The dress from River Island is currently in the sale for an absolute steal at £20 so get yours quick!

Photo Credits:

River Island

Oasis

Zara

Topshop

Style.com