This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Rome Rome – the city of love. Surely no other destination could be more perfect for a Valentine’s Day retreat. From stunning architecture to delicious food, wander the beautiful streets of Rome and enjoy the Italian atmosphere. A visit to the Trevi Fountain is essential: legend has it that throwing one coin into the fountain will bring you good luck, and throwing two means that you will fall in love!

Venice Italy certainly has it’s a fair share of romantic cities. Venice is a popular destination for a romantic get-away with its idyllic winding alleyways and beautiful cobbled stones, not to mention a gondola ride for two. February is a great time to visit when the tourist season is not in full flow and the city is more tranquil. Enjoy an Aperol Spritz and some heavenly pizza or pasta while enjoying some Mediterranean sunshine, even in Spring.

Woman Holds Sliced Pizza Seats By Table With Glass
bruce mars / Pexels
Bruges Similar to Venice, this Belgium city lies on the waterfront and boasts some delightful parks, riverways, and architecture; the perfect destination for a romantic city break. Stay in one of the traditional Medieval hotels and enjoy the canals, cobbled streets, and tempting array of chocolate shops – said to sell the best Belgium chocolate in the country. Take a trip out on the winding canals, visit the impressive castle, or simply get lost in the town as you enjoy a peaceful weekend of culture.

New York A slightly more extravagant option, New York is the perfect adventure to treat your partner. With so many tourist attractions and sights to tick of the bucket list, the Big Apple has to be one of the best surprise trips you could ask for. Visit the Statue of Liberty and take a stroll around Times Square before heading to taste some of the city’s finest cuisine in Little Italy.

Girl On Rooftop Nyc
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
The Lake District On a budget? No worries. The UK has a few special spots to offer too. Few things are more romantic than cozying up in a cottage for a weekend. Take a walk through the delightful British countryside before curling up in front of a fire with a good film and some red wine. The Lake District is the perfect destination if you’re looking for a relaxing trip with plenty of time for the two of you.
Alisa Anton U_Z0X
Alisa Anton / Unsplash

Exeter University Student, studying English Literature and Spanish Athlete and Foodie (see @what.katie.does98 on Instagram) The future Kate Addie...