Top 5 News Stories Of The Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

‘Selfie’ is the Word of 2013

On the 19th November, the Oxford Dictionary named ‘Selfie’ the word of the year. The official definition of the word is: a photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website. Other words that were included in the shortlist included ‘twerk’ and ‘Schmeat’. Over recent years, the English language has seen an increase in new words that are derived from the internet and popular culture; the word of the year for 2008 was ‘chav’. But are we adding more depth and culture to our language or simply degrading it?

It’s a Wonderful Life 2!

Its been announced that Star Partners and Hummingbird Prods. are working on a sequel to the iconic 1964 movie ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’. The original movie told the story of a troubled family whose desperate father is close to giving up, only for the intervention of guardian angel on Christmas Eve to turn things around. The producers have promised that the new film will still have the same feel-good sentiments of the original but many already have doubts that it couldn’t possibly live up to its predecessor!

I’m A Celebrity Back On Our Screens!

The popular ITV reality television show, I’m A Celebrity Get Me Outta Here! has once again returned. This year’s contestants include Olympic swimmer Rebecca Adlington, The Only Way is Essex star Joey Essex, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air actor Alfonso Ribiero and Miss Universe GB Amy Willerton. The show presented by Geordie duo, Ant & Dec is sure to entertain as it does every year with a series of disgusting trials, awkward camp fights and emotional one-on-one confessions.

Teenager’s Night Out Goes Abroad

19 year old Luke Harding thought he was going out for just a typical night clubbing with a group of friends in Manchester. However, after leaving the popular Tokyo Project nightclub, he decided to use his passport which he had brought out with him as proof of I.D. for its original purpose. Harding went straight to Manchester Airport where he booked a last minute flight with Flybe to Paris’s Charles de Gaulle airport, travelling a total distance of 500 miles. So the next time you have a messy night out, look back at Luke’s night and you might feel a bit better about yourself!

Driver Fined for Cycle Collision Tweet

22-year-old motorist Emma Way has been fined a total of £337 pounds for tweeting about knocking over a cyclist with her vehicle. The full tweet read, posted on May 19th 2013, read: ‘definitely knocked a cyclist off his bike earlier. I have right of way – he doesn’t even pay road tax! #bloodycyclists’. The cyclist in question, Toby Hockley, suffered bruising and there was a small amount of damage caused to his bicycle. Since the incident, Way has called the tweet the “biggest regret of my life” and apologised for her actions. The resolution of this incident comes at the same time as the death of a 60 year old cyclist on London road due to a lorry collision, the sixth death in two weeks.

Photo Credits: www.bbc.co.uk, www.derekwinnert.com, www.wikipedia.org, www.dailymail.co.uk

Alex is currently a Second year English student and is the 2013/14 Deputy Editor for Current Affairs at Her Campus Exeter. Being very passionate about English and in particular journalism, HerCampus is likely to take over Alex's life. But when she isn't writing, blogging or helping the HerCampus Exeter team in whatever way she can, Alex enjoys playing guitar and singing; hopefully well! She is also interested in musical theatre and can often be found humming show tunes absentmindedly. Alex hopes HerCampus will be one of her first steps in a career towards journalism.