Top 5 News Stories This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

University staff stage one-day strike over pay

Institutions across the UK went on strike over pay on 31 October, taken by three unions – the University and College Union (UCU), Unison and Unite. The unions involved in the university strike claimed a 1% pay rise offered to staff – including lecturers, technicians and administration workers – means there has been a 13% pay cut in real terms since October 2008.The University of Exeter was one of the universities included in the strike, however with Week 6 giving many of us the week off alongside other priority events such as Halloween, we question whether it really had so much of an impact on many Exeter students.

Julianne Hough’s Blackface Costume

Outrage has spread over Dancing With the Stars alum Julianne Hough’s controversial choice of Halloween costume. Hough dressed up as Uzo Aduba’s character “Crazy Eyes” from the hit show Orange is the New Black; wearing an orange jumpsuit, a “Crazy Eyes” name tag, and a knotted hairdo. Hough apologised for any offence caused by her costume on Twitter, saying: “I am a huge fan of the show Orange is the New Black, actress Uzo Aduba, and the character she has created. It certainly was never my intention to be disrespectful or demeaning to anyone in any way. I realize my costume hurt and offended people and I truly apologize.”

Daughter in Court over Garden Bodies
After a couple were found buried in a garden on 9 October, the daughter and son-in-law have appeared in court charged with their murders. Formal identification of the couple is yet to be confirmed but the bodies are believed to be Mr and Mrs Wycherley.

TSA agent killed in Los Angeles airport shooting
After a shooting at Los Angeles International Airport, a federal security agent has been killed and several other people wounded. The suspect is believed to be Pail Anthony Ciancia, a 23-year-old Los Angeles resident, who has been wounded by police and detained. President Barack Obama has expressed concern regarding the shooting, but said he would leave law enforcement to talk about it as the investigation continues.

World faces global wine shortage

A global wine shortage has been predicted as the consumer demand across the world has already significantly outstripped supply. The US research by Morgan Stanley financial services says demand for wine “exceeded supply by 300m cases in 2012′.

Photo Credits: www.pinterest.com