Top 5 News Stories Of The Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Justin Bieber Deposition Video Emerges

Justin Bieber, once known for his squeaky clean reputation and wholesome family-friendly image, has shocked the world in the last few months with his seemingly out of control antics, including his arrest for drunk driving, his visit to a South American brothel; and his unprovoked vandalism attack on the home of a neighbour. Up to this point, his behaviour has been defended by his millions of adoring ‘Beliebers’, as well as several celebrity supporters who claim Bieber is simply a young man struggling with teenage pressures heightened by the intense focus of the media that is forced upon him. However, in the past few days, a video has been leaked to the Internet, concerning the deposition of Justin Bieber in the case of assault against a paparazzi. Bieber, accused of ordering his bodyguards to assault a paparazzi appears rude, arrogant and uninterested throughout the entire video, making his actions just that more difficult to defend. If you haven’t seen it yet, take a look at the video below:

Malaysia Airline MH370 Still Missing

A Malaysia Airlines flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing went missing on Saturday 7th March, with 239 people on board including two young infants. Radar seems to suggest that the plane diverged from its planned route before vanishing sight. Currently, the fate of the plane remains unknown with an international search for any wreckage underway. It has emerged that two men travelling aboard the plane were using stolen passports, but neither have been linked to terrorist groups.

Great Britain Paralympian Success

As the 2014 Sochi Paralympic Games continue, Great Britain has enjoyed some success. So far Jade Etherington has won a silver medal in the Visually Impaired Women’s Downhill ski, a silver medal in the Visually Impaired Slalom ski and a bronze medal in the Visually Impaired Women’s Super G ski! Kelly Gallagher has also won a gold medal in the Visually Impaired Women’s Super G.

Cheryl Cole Returns to the X Factor

Cheryl Cole, successful solo artist and former member of Girls Aloud, is set to return to a judging position on the popular ITV talent show ‘The X Factor’. Cole was a judge on the programme from 2008 to 2011 finding two of the show’s winners in Alexandra Burke and Joe McElderry. Leaving after three series, Cole joined the new American version of the show only to be sacked for her strong Geordie accent that viewers found incomprehensible. Her sacking led to a heavily covered fall-out with the show’s creator and judging star, Simon Cowell. However, it seems that the two have finally made nice and made up as they’ll both be returning to the UK judging panel in this year’s show.

First Kiss Video Goes Viral

A YouTube video called ‘First Kiss’ made by amateur filmmaker Tatia Pilieva has gone viral, spread largely through social media sites Twitter and Facebook. The video features twenty strangers, meeting for the first time and being asked to kiss – all of it being recorded on camera. Some have called the video ‘beautiful’ and ‘romantic’ while others have deemed it to be ‘disgusting’ and ‘fake’. However, since its initial release the video has been revealed to be an advert for clothing line Wren Studio; its participants are all actors. Does this make you see the video in a new light? Or can you see still its awkward charm? If you haven’t seen it yet, take a look below:

Photo Credits: www.vapartners.ca, www.globalnation.inquirer.net, www.bbc.co.uk, www.digitalspy.co.uk,

Alex is currently a Second year English student and is the 2013/14 Deputy Editor for Current Affairs at Her Campus Exeter. Being very passionate about English and in particular journalism, HerCampus is likely to take over Alex's life. But when she isn't writing, blogging or helping the HerCampus Exeter team in whatever way she can, Alex enjoys playing guitar and singing; hopefully well! She is also interested in musical theatre and can often be found humming show tunes absentmindedly. Alex hopes HerCampus will be one of her first steps in a career towards journalism.