Top 5 Films to Get You into the Christmas Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Deadlines are looming but with Christmas around the corner there is a light at the end of the tunnel. What better way to fill your time avoiding revision than procrastinating with some of the best festive films out there?

1. The Holiday

Cosy up next to a roaring fire and bask in the glory that is Jude Law. Obviously the plot is great too, but a little bit of eye candy is always appreciated here at HCX. If you haven’t seen it yet then prepare for a seriously romantic take on the traditional house swap, cute cottages, and plenty of aww moments.

2. Home Alone

A classic that really never gets old. Macaulay Culkin causes mischief and mayhem when his family go on holiday and accidentally leave him behind. This is the ideal film if you’re looking for inventive ways to protect yourself from some of the worst robbers of all time.  

3. Love Actually

If you don’t crack this one out every year at Christmas time, are you really British? An all star cast which provides everything you need during the holiday season, from sappy romantic scenes to Hugh Grant dancing around in his boxers.

4. Elf

Follow Buddy, an adopted ‘elf’ as he heads to New York in search of his real family. This one is perfect for those in need of a laughter fix and will please even the biggest scrooges out there.

5. Frozen

While not technically a ‘Christmas’ film, the whole eternal winter thing should make you feel right at home as the temperatures drop. Throw in a super cute talking snowman, reindeer and the iconic song Let It Go and you have a recipe for a perfect winter warmer. 

Jamie is in her last year at the University of Exeter where she studies French, Spanish and Portuguese. Having grown up all over the world from Kenya to Australia Jamie is passionate about all things travel. She spent her year abroad writing for a travel company in Barcelona and is keen to share her knowledge of amazing destinations from the best brunch spots to hidden gems.