Top 5 European Festivals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

With spring on our doorsteps, it’s time to start planning for the summer – the perfect procrastination from the inevitable mid-term onslaught of deadlines! We’ve rounded up 5 of the best European festivals to start dreaming about.

Sziget Festival, Budapest

10 – 17 August

Eclectic, crazy and a whole lot of fun is how we would sum up the Island of Freedom, home to Sziget Festival. For 7 days and 7 nights, an island on the Danube plays host to one of the most varied displays of entertainment to be found this summer. With stages for all sorts of acts, there’s always something for everyone, whether you fancy chilling out at the World Music Stage or dancing all night in the A38 Arena. Martin Garrix is set to play the closing party, whilst Robbie Williams and Florence and the Machine also feature on the line up. Last year’s festival was the first ever camping sell out, with the island reaching full capacity on the Thursday, so get your tickets soon! Whether you go for a 7 or 5 day camping experience, or just fancy combining a trip to Budapest with a day ticket, this is one not to be missed.

Sonar, Barcelona

18 – 20 June

Combining some of the best in electronic music with cultural and innovative exhibitions, this 3 day festival in Barcelona provides a truly unique experience. Held in two locations each day (one for Sonar by Day and one for Sonar by Night), it’s easy to find yourself dancing until dawn without even realising the night has gone by. Alongside Sonar, run the OFF Sonar events – pool parties and concerts in a park overlooking the city to name just a few! Tickets for these need to be bought separately and we highly recommend giving them a go – If you’re quick they can cost very little! Whatever you end up doing, with acts such as The Chemical Brothers already lined up, it’s sure to be a weekend you won’t forget.

Open’er Festival, Poland

1 – 4 July

Combining music with art, this 13 year old festival is held at Gdynia-Kosakowo airport and the line-up is pretty impressive. From Mumford and Sons to Kendrick Lamar, Hozier to Major Lazer…and that’s just the main stage! Campsite yoga will help you to relax after a day of jumping up and down in the crowd, whilst the Open’er library is there for anyone who wants to take a break and chill out. Described by Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys as being “a quarter of the size of Glastonbury, but [with] ten times the energy” – which sounds pretty good to us!

Northside, Denmark

12 – 14 June

Currently in its fifth year, Northside in Adalen, Denmark, has grown from a one day festival to a three day extravaganza. The festival prides itself on its green credentials, and George Ezra, Sam Smith and The Parov Stelar Band are all booked to play.

Exit Festival, Serbia & Sea Dance Festival, Monentegro

9 – 12 July 2015 /16 – 18 July 2015

Originating a student movement for peace and democracy, today Exit is an award winning festival held in Novi Sad, Serbia. Featuring Clean Bandit and Tom Odell to name just a few, we love the idea of experiencing world class artists in an 18th-century fortress located right next to the Danube! If electro is more your thing, the Exit Sea Dance festival, held in Budva, Montenegro, will feature acts such as Rudimental and Sigma. Sun, sand and great music…what’s not to love?!

Photo Credits:

www.sziget.hu

www.festicket.com

www.mowianamiescie.pl

Writing for the travel section of Her Campus Exeter. Dreaming of exploring the world on a budget. Studying English and French.