Top 4 Unknown Skiing Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Gulmarg, India

Gulmarg resort, in the Pir Panjal mountains of Kashmir, takes skiers up to 13,000 feet.  Considering the highest resorts in the Alps go up to only 10,000 feet, this is a resort that snow seekers would be mad to miss.  The resort gets up to a metre of fresh snow every week, meaning that stunning views of the Himalayas are accompanied by some of the best powder skiing in the world. 

The resort was originally a British hill station and still has the remnants of its colonial charm.  Stay at the Hotel Highlands Park, a beautiful chalet hotel with an Indian twist.

Don’t Miss: The resort is a favourite with Indian celebrities and Bollywood stars who head to the mountains for rest and recuperation.

Mall of the Emirates, Dubai

If creating a thriving city in the middle of the desert wasn’t enough, Dubai has taken things to the next level with an indoor ski resort. With 22,500 square meters of slopes to ski and a park for practicing your freestyle skills this is the perfect destination for both beginners and advanced skiers.  Stay in the Kempinski Dubai, which has rooms styled on ski chalets with views of the slopes. 

Don’t Miss: If you’ve had enough of the snow then you are only a stone’s throw away from the beach.  This is the perfect destination for skiers who want the best of both worlds.

Mauna Kea, Hawaii

This little-known resort is near to the laid back town of Hilo and takes skiers up the slopes of a dormant volcano.  The resort is home to some of the best powder snow in the world; some enthusiasts have even managed to ride the slopes using a surf board. The height of the mountain makes the resort a unique spot for stargazing.  This isn’t surprising considering that it is also home to the biggest observatory in the world.  Relax after a hard day’s skiing and soak up the views.

Don’t Miss: The Muana Kea snowboarding competition.  This takes place every year and attracts some of the best boarders from all over the world. 

Faraya, Lebanon

Faraya is the biggest ski resort in the Middle East and is attracting an increasing interest from snow lovers. If you’re after a luxury experience without the crowded slopes then Faraya is the destination for you.  The resort boasts a large variety of spas, restaurants and hotels which will leave you feeling relaxed after a long day on the slopes.

Stay in the Mzaar Intercontinental Hotel, located right in the middle of the town and featuring beautiful interiors.  Faraya is also known for its Après Ski, which will challenge that of even the biggest French resorts. 

Don’t Miss: The Faraya annual lingerie show.  A big event in the Faraya party scene, think VS fashion show meets Après with a Middle Eastern twist.

Photo Credits:

www.tourforkashmir.com

www.hotelhighlandspark.com

www.telegraph.co.uk

www.standupandpaddle.org

www.icmmzaar.com