element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 3 Festive Attractions in London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Everyone loves a good festive outing, and here at HCX we think there is nothing better than heading into the bustling city of London. Therefore we are excited to share with you a list of our top three attractions in the captial that will get you in the most festive of spirits…

1. Ice Skating at Somerset House

Located in the heart of the city, this neo-classical building is perfectly placed between the Strand and the River Thames. At winter it offers the best ice skating rink in London (or so we think!).

Along with the skating fun there is also Apres-skate on offer, the perfect opportunity to enjoy a cocktail or two or warm yourself up again with a hot chocolate. You can even opt for skate extras such as champagne, fondue and chocolate truffles. If you are anything like me, the original bambi-on-ice, do not forget to get someone to snap a photo or two of that gleeful movement when you manage to move without falling over – a true accomplishment

2. Winter Wonderland, Hyde Park

Ah Winter Wonderland, we meet again! Yes, that time of year is back and it is better than ever… 

If you do not want to venture in to Somerset House then why not don a pair of ice skates here?! With over 100,000 lights illuminating the rink set around the Victorian bandstand it is sure to be beautiful. However, if skating is not for you then do not worry because there is plenty more to experience at this one-stop destination. 

Before you skate the day away, ensure you make the time to peruse the Magical Ice Kingdom. Constructed out of real ice and snow, this feature is absolutely mesmerising. Visit the magical forest with a glistening lake of ice, or why not head over and explore the Ice Castle and take a seat on the ice throne with the Ice Queen watching over you. 

Along with this there is also a Giant Wheel, Santa Land, fairground rides, Christmas markets and the Arctic Circle to keep you entertained all day long. 

3. IceBar London

Christmas at IceBar London starts on the 23rd of November and continues until the 30th of December, and is sure to get you in the Christmas mood.

If you can, we recommend the IceBar and dine package which lasts for 2hrs and 45mins (compared to the IceBar experience that lasts for 40mins). This is the only permanent bar in the UK made of ice so it definitely warrants a visit around the holiday season. The water that makes the ice is from Northern Sweden and each year it has a different theme. Located just off Regent Street, it is in the perfect location

We know where we will be heading for a weekend break as soon as term finishes… We hope you have been inspired to explore our fabulous capital city too this festive season. 

Culture EditorCurrently studying Biological Sciences in my third and final year at the University of Exeter. I love adventures and exploring the world around me so I'm trying to squeeze as much fun into this stressful time - you only get one life!