Top 10 Things To Do in Prague

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Prague is increasingly becoming one of Europe’s most popular city breaks and it’s not hard to understand why… I mean, have you seen those castles, cathedrals and canals? Here at HCX we have compiled the top 10 things to do in Prague – you can’t miss out on any of these gems.

1.     Prague Castle

No one can visit Prague without taking a gander around its magnificent and majestic castle. Or should I say a castle complex. According to the Guinness Book of Records, Prague Castle is the largest ancient castle in the world, dating from the 9th century, and it is also the official residence of the President of the Czech Republic. Must see sights in Prague Castle are Golden Lane and Saint Vitus Cathedral.

2. Charles Bridge

Charles Bridge is the picture-perfect image from the postcards. Mighty, gothic, and romantic, Charles Bridge is a magical sight to see and a pleasure to walk down. HCX Top Tip: Visit at sunrise or sunset, when the bridge is not swamped with tourists.

3. Old Town Square

Another of Prague’s must-see tourist attractions is the Astronomical Clock, found in Old Town Square, a historic square also featuring the beautiful Church of St Nicholas. Visit at Christmas time for some awesome and authentic medieval Christmas markets.

4. National Monument on Vitkov Hill

This is Prague’s best unknown gem; no one seems to visit this gorgeous monument and viewpoint, and they’re seriously missing out! The atmosphere here is chilling, its historical significance reigns throughout the Czech Republic as a memorial to the Battle of Vitkov Hill that ended the Hussite Wars (a.k.a the Bohemian Wars). HCX Top Tip: Find this hidden graffiti hut for an unrivalled view of the city.

5. Kampa Island

Possibly the most romantic part of the city, Kampa Island is a false island on the Vltava River in the Lesser Town, from which it is separated by an artificial mill race named Devil’s Stream. With long, winding canals, this tourist attraction is basically Prague’s answer to Venice.  Must-see sights here include the Love Lock Bridge and the famous Lennon Wall, where people from all over the world come to honour John Lennon, the murdered member of the Beatles (and take to the nearby John Lennon Pub!)

6. Petrin Lookout Tower

Built as a mini version of Paris’ iconic Eiffel Tower, Petrin Tower stands at 63.5 metres tall. Sitting at the summit of Petrin Hill, which is 318 metres high, climbing to the top of Petrin Tower (only 299 steps!) offers a magnificent view over Prague. If you don’t fancy the long walk up the tower, the green surroundings of Petrin Hill make a lovely place for a summer’s picnic.

7. Klementinum Library

This library is a book lover’s dream! The stunning Baroque Library Hall, found in the Klementinum complex, first opened in 1722. The building is also home to the amazing ‘Infinity of Knowledge’ sculpture, where through the use of books and mirrors, Czechoslovak artist Matej Kren has created an obscure effect of ‘infinity’ for the viewer. 

8. Dancing House

If you’re a sucker for architecture, then Dancing House is the place to visit. Set by the beautiful Vltava River and surrounded by historic architecture, this building definitely stands out: it is strikingmodern and unique.

9. Ice Pub

How could we be advising college students and not tell you about the best clubs and bars to visit? Prague’s Ice Pub is super unique: everything you can see or feel, wallsbartablessculptures and even your own personal glass is made of ice.

10. Karlovy Lazne

Karlovy Lazne, otherwise known as the biggest music club in central Europe, is a five story club featuring different music for each level: mainstreamdanceoldieship hop and chill out. Open from 9pm until 5am (although us Exeter students would probably crash at around 2ish), Karlovy Lazne is bound to show you what clubbing is all about. The club is set in a 15th Century building which, although equipped with modern facilities, still shows its old remnants with original mosaic tiling, as well as old spa facilities and pools in the style of Roman baths.

Photo Credits:

Blackie Warner

Meet the Slavs

Sam Goes Abroad

Lucy is a first year English Literature student at the University of Exeter. Passionate about all things travel, most of her spare time is spent saving for that next adventure or dancing her pants off (not literally) at an indie rock gig. Fuelling her love for journalism, photography, design, and most importantly travel, you can find her blogging at www.FarawayLucy.com.