This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

When you visit a new city it can be easy to fall into tourist traps, and no one wants that disappointment on their holiday. But fear not, at HCX we’ll give you our insider tips so you can avoid feeling cheated. Prepare for Instagram worthy food snaps and delicious meals with our guide to the Catalan Capital’s best restaurants

1) Brunch and Cake

If you’re after Instagram worthy interiors and mouth watering food then this little hideaway in Eixample is just the ticket. You’ll be greeted by delicious smells as you step into this urban oasis that is just the right mix of Spanish and contemporary European design.

2) Milk

You can’t beat a full English, and this Irish run restaurant with its cosy club style interiors knows how to do it well. Huevos rancheros are our recommendation – and a cheeky cocktail wouldn’t hurt either…

3) Café Al Sur

If you can manage to find your way through the winding streets of Born and locate this foodie haven you won’t be disappointed, it is both yummy and a great place to people watch if you can snag a table outside. 

4) Granja Petitbo

Sink into comfy leather sofas with a nice warm drink in this rustic Catalan favourite. Be prepared to queue if you choose Granja as your brunch stop as this place is popular for a reason, but trust us it’s definitely worth the wait!

5) Rosa Negra

We’ve sampled food far and wide but the only contender for the best Mexican food has to be Rosa Negra. This artfully decorated restaurant serves enchiladas to die for and some spectacularly crafted mojitos, making it an ideal place to start an evening in Barcelona.

6) Giulietta Café

Craving something a little simpler? Croissants, muesli, freshly squeezed orange juice, and healthy smoothies all await you at the chic Guilietta. 

7) Le Coq & the Burg

Do you like eggs? Do you like burgers? Of course you do! This chic eatery serves a mixture of breakfast food and burgers that will keep you coming back for more. It’s right around the corner from the Sagrada Familia, so escape the crowds of people and drop into Coq and Burg and see what all the fuss is about.

8) Luzia

Finding good, authentic Spanish food should be easy when you’re here, but with so many places to choose from it can be hard to know which offers the real deal. Well, here at HCX we want to help. Our choice has to be a beautiful restaurant off the busy street of Las Ramblas. You’ll be close to the action and be able to enjoy the best patatas bravas all at once! What more could you want?

9) La Fermata

For all you indecisive eaters out there, and I know there are quite a few of you, we’ve found the answer to all your problems. This pizzeria lets you create a platter of all your favourite pizzas so you can taste each and every one. Desserts are great here too with a truly indulgent nutella option

10) La Vietnamita

Go for a global experience and enjoy some authentic vietnamese street style food at this wagamama-esque location in the cool, new neighbourhood of Born. You’ll feel as if you’re in Shoreditch with the quirky industrial interiors, and the food is great too. Add a thirst quenching homemade lemonade and you’ve got a recipe for success

Jamie is in her last year at the University of Exeter where she studies French, Spanish and Portuguese. Having grown up all over the world from Kenya to Australia Jamie is passionate about all things travel. She spent her year abroad writing for a travel company in Barcelona and is keen to share her knowledge of amazing destinations from the best brunch spots to hidden gems.