Tips and Tricks: Making Your Uni Room a Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

As term begins every student is faced with a bleaker version of a blank canvas – a new uni room. Whether it’s in a less than satisfying house, a flat or brand spanking new student accommodation, there’s something special about making that small space your own. After all, that space is your chilled out escape from university life, your revision office around exam time and a place to first and foremost do that inevitable excessive amount of sleeping.

Yes, as we first move into our rooms, they certainly don’t reflect the sassy and fabulous girls we all obviously are. So here it is: some tips on jazzing up your room on a budget.

1.     Never underestimate the importance of knick-knacks.

You think knick-knacks, and an old ladies house full of cat figurines comes to mind. Rethink that! Little bits and bobs – vases, tea cups, candles, clocks … anything you fancy can fill a space surprisingly well. Visit a local charity shop or venture into your loft! Fashion circulates so quickly you’ll be bound to find something old and dusty that with a bit of polish, could pass for John Lewis’ finest. Stack tea cups, put candles in them, or use them as alternative pencil pots – or to create an interesting lamp, put some fairy lights in a clear vase.

2.     Get arty!

You don’t have to be Picasso to splash a bit of colour into your room. Take old frames and paint them bright and vivid colours. Collect interesting looking bottles/jars and paint them, write on them or stick a candle in them! Always save interesting looking post cards, or favourite photos and posters but arrange them in a mural fashion to add more style and a personal touch. Trust me, it looks a lot more impressive than it really is!

Tip: If you are particularly arty, save old canvases and paint anything on them. Quirky, cheap and totally unique.

3.     Farewell heating

Being a student unfortunately means stinging on the heating – a sacrifice we all make so we can afford those nights out in Timepiece. There are other ways to warm up though, and stylishly as well! Collect cushions – as many as possible, and squash them in the car to take to uni with you! And the throws, the all-important throws – they can generally be found cheaply at furniture shops so make sure you’re stocked up. Pick exciting colours to liven up your bed space.

Tip: Old scarves can be used as smaller throws and general decoration – keep all the fabric you can get!

4.     The best things in life are free…most of the time

Okay, we get it, we all want to splash out on cool things occasionally. Bunting is a popular and adorable addition to any uni room, and can be found in a number of different designs. Adding a houseplant or flowers is also a great way to inject some life into your room and let’s face it, will hopefully keep out that inevitable ‘uni house’ smell. Gross. There are some great websites to grab some quirky items: try www.notonthehighstreet.com or www.hunkydoryhome.co.uk and cue the lusting.

We at HCX love these tips on making our Uni rooms feel like home – happy room decorating!

Photo credits: http://katherineschwarzenegger.com www.liveliketheboy.co.uk www.victorias-vintage.co.uk www.lushlee.com