Style

Time’s Up: The Golden Globe Statement of Female Empowerment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The 75th Golden Globes Awards Ceremony was a momentous occasion in itself being the Diamond Jubilee of the event. However, this year it promoted the all important movement of the Time’s Up campaign to protest against sexual misconduct across all industries.

Red carpet fashion was discussed in a very different manner this time around. Instead of pitting women against each other in a ‘who wore it better’ battle or dividing the best dressed from the worst, specific sartorial choices were placed aside and fashion was united in an extremely powerful statement of protest and solidarity. In the speeches, fierceness, sharp observation and outright badass-ness was certainly not in short supply!

Actresses and people of public interest took part in a unanimous act of an all black dress code, making for some strikingly empowering and extremely fierce ensembles. Male actors declared their participation and support showed their support by wearing lapel pins in a powerful show of progressive cooperation. However, Justin Timberlake has been recently criticised for his involvement due to working with Woody Allen very recently. More controversy arose when actress Blanca Blanco opted for a sensuous crimson red dress. Mixed responses followed, with those of the opinion that it was an act of refusal to support the campaign. While other recognised the shaming that followed her sartorial decision.

Many female supporters took the movement further by bringing political activists as their dates such as Emma Watson, Meryl Streep and Michelle Williams who brought Marai Larasi, Ai-jen Poo, and Tarana Burke respectively. Oprah Winfrey in particular brought attention to the movement with her empowering speech leaving the audience both at the ceremony and at home with the words “a new day is on the horizon” echoing in their ears. This has since sparked the Oprah 2020 movement with rumours circulating that she could be running for office in the next general election. Natalie Portman brought attention to the inequality against women highlighting the fact that the Best Director nominations included male directors across the board.

Despite the controversy, this event will undoubtedly be a significant historical event and has sent shockwaves across the globe in empowering women to stop the clock in tolerating any form of sexual misconduct. A truly mesmerizing act of resistance, which shows how fashion can have a direct and profound effect in making a stand and demanding change.