Tilt: The Hottest New App on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

HCX girls love a good app, so we’ve decided to give you a low-down on the new hot app that can only aid our social lives. By now, we’ve all heard of Tilt. This term, the US app has exploded at universities across the UK and has quickly turned into a must-have at Exeter, where it’s become the go-to way for students to collect money from friends.

From end of season dinners to house bills, holiday travel to meals out … the list of stuff Exeter students are splitting – sorry, “tilting” – goes on and on. Its growth has been kind of insane: in just one term, over 2,000 students on campus have used the app.

Actually, those numbers actually aren’t all that surprising considering the amount of committees and societies that have started using Tilt to organise events and nights out. A couple of students have recently coordinated a 500,000+ person beach rugby tournament through Tilt. Also getting tilted: RAG Fashion Show, Snowsports, hockey, tennis, cricket, football, Bambo and what seems like every end of season dinner ever.

Exeter’s Caledonian society tilting their spring ball.

Like all good apps, Tilt began in Silicon Valley. It came out of the same accelerator program as Airbnb, and has become a massive success in the U.S. by working with fraternities and sororities. Last summer, the company finally expanded into the UK – and it’s not hard to see why we’ve welcomed it with open arms at Exeter. As Lottie Oatts, Exeter Caledonian Society President, put it, “selling tickets for events can be a huge undertaking for any planning committee as it usually involves setting up tables on campus and handling all the cash collected”.

But now with Tilt, tickets can be bought from anywhere in 3 clicks from your mobile. Goodbye and good riddance to remembering cash, queuing up… and then losing your that ticket you bought yesterday in the forum.

Exeter Lacrosse Club uses Tilt to ticket their end of season dinner.

So how does it all work? Tilt cases range from very small to very large. The beauty is that it’s as easy to have a friend pay you back a fiver using their Request Money feature (think PingIt, but faster and available for any bank). You can make groups, sell tickets/stash and pay a friend back – all in 3 clicks. It’s so easy my mum could do it.

You can download the Tilt app here for free and if you’re interested in expanding Tilt, become a Tilt Ambassador, and gain experience in promoting one of the fastest growing apps on uni campuses.

I'm Lucy Tillott, a 19 year old Liberal Arts student at the University of Exeter, but am originally from Birmingham. I am studying English and Politics and love getting into debates, which is probably why I am the Current Affairs editor of the Exeter chapter of HerCampus. I was a writer for the current affairs section of HerCampus last year, and loved the opportunity to write every week, make friends, and involve myself in the comradery of HerCampus. I hope to be heavily involved with the thriving community of Exeter HerCampus while sparking an interest in current affairs in our readers.