Thinking of Going on a Year Abroad?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Although the prospect of upending your life for a year and making the leap to study or work in a different country may seem terrifying at first, the amount of life lessons you learn along the way is astonishing. Having spent our time in France, Spain and Russia during our respective years abroad last year, we definitely have some know-how to pass on to those now considering it. But before you get carried away with the adventure-filled wanderlust of it all, remember that it’s not always an easy ride. There will be wonderful times, downright awful times, and times when you can’t quite believe what’s actually happening. But believe us when we say it’s an unforgettable experience!

Before you go…

Ellie: Whatever country you’re interested in going to, there’s undoubtedly going to be a set of administrative procedures you’ll have to complete either beforehand or once you’re there, such as Visa applications, social security numbers and finding somewhere to live. Make sure you know your stuff before you even step foot on the place; research the country thoroughly and be prepared for any document-related nightmares that may come your way. I found that one way of minimising any bureaucratic nightmares is to be organised and photocopy every single important document that could possibly be requested – passport, EHIC card, bank statement, you name it – take a copy of it.

Erica: It’s so important to be prepared! Another thing that you need to bear in mind, especially if you’re going outside of Europe, is any vaccinations you might need. For more details on this, speak to your GP or look at the GOV.UK travel advice for whatever country you’re planning on going to. Before you go, it’s very easy to get carried away with the excitement of immersing yourself into a whole new culture, or you might be extremely nervous about these cultural differences – either one is fine! However, homesickness from time to time is inevitable, so make sure you pack something that reminds you of the green grass of home before you set off. A box of Yorkshire tea, an emergency supply of Cadbury’s, photos of family and friends and some episodes of your favourite British TV show are perfect fixes for when you start to miss the UK and its cloudy skies.

Top tips…

Ellie: Get involved. For some students, a year abroad can be challenging and quite lonely at times as you first adjust to life in an entirely new place. But not to fear; most large towns and cities will have some kind of Erasmus or student network, designed to bring all students in the same situation together. It’s a great opportunity to meet people from all over the world – meaning now I have free accommodation in loads of countries! If you’re studying languages, you may also want to keep an eye out for language exchange groups to practise at much as you can; people are always dying to chat to a native English speaker.

Erica: A year abroad is an opportunity like no other, so it’s a good idea to make the most of it. Do everything your new town has to offer! Visit all the tourist attractions, and try and immerse yourself in all the local customs, no matter how bizarre (being aggressively hit with leaves, naked, in a Russian sauna was definitely one of the weirdest things that’s ever happened to me, but also one of the most memorable, and apparently very Russian). If you have time, it’s also a good idea to travel to towns/countries outside of where you’re staying. There will definitely be so much more to your country than where you’re living. If you’re in one of the big cities, travel out to somewhere remote – you’ll learn so much about the culture of the real people of that country!

Highlights…

But it’s not all bad news! Hopefully we haven’t scared you off with thoughts of drowning in paperwork and terrifyingly unfamiliar experiences – they’re just a small part compared to the plethora of foreign adventures that await.

Ellie: Barcelona is a beautiful city. I completely fell in love with it whilst exploring at the weekends and spent a lot of time seeking out as many delicious brunch places as I could! One of my favourite places to visit was the Bunkers del Carmel, a viewing platform that looked over the entire city, particularly spectacular as the sun set over the glistening Mediterranean. I also had the opportunity to travel to places I’d never been before – Rome being an absolute highlight! I adored wandering around the ancient sites and devouring cones of what I’m sure is some of the world’s best gelato at least three times a day.

Erica: St Petersburg is incredible. I became obsessed with its pastel architecture and would spend every weekend exploring extravagant golden palaces and churches whilst learning about the interesting and turbulent history, and of course, trying all that Russian vodka! I loved visiting the Summer Palace and strolling round its beautiful gardens in the crisp, white snow. I also had the opportunity to travel to places that I would have never even thought about visiting before – including the beautiful coastal city of Tallinn in Estonia as well as being able to discover the rich and fascinating cultures of Georgia and Armenia.

So, if you’re thinking about applying for a year abroad; our advice is to GO FOR IT (and be as prepared and informed as possible, of course).