There’s Something About Hollister…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

‘Hey, how’s it going?!’

‘Hey, what’s up?!’

You’d be forgiven for thinking that you’d stepped into California (albeit after dark) when walking into the new Hollister store in town, as that’s exactly what they want you to think. The aim is to recreate Californian cool in the heart of Exeter, although it hasn’t been entirely successful: the tag line, ‘Hey, welcome to the pier’, has been dropped as it was brought to the managers’ attention that it was confusing customers!

I didn’t know much about Hollister before I came to Exeter. The all-American look is not something I have ever been in to, and I had heard enough about the darkness and the loud music from friends and family to put me off ever stepping into a Hollister store. However, that all changed when I was approached by a manager asking if I was interested in some part-time work. Coming into my second year, I was desperate to find a job to keep things ticking over and bring a bit more structure to my week. However, I was dubious about going for an interview and had to be persuaded by my mum who told me I was being ridiculous to fuss about stereotypes – a job is a job. She was of course right, and as I now find myself working at Hollister at least twice a week, my perspective on the brand has definitely changed.

Everyone has an opinion on Hollister. The reaction I got from most of my friends when I told them about my new job was something along the lines of ‘Oh god really? Why would you want to do that?!’. Whether you’re an avid fan (one girl gasped as she walked into the shop the other day: ‘Oh my god I literally want to live here!’), someone who avoids it at all costs and likes to make sure everyone knows it, or merely someone with no interest whatsoever in the store, everyone is talking about the newest arrival to the High Street.  

Perhaps the most distinctive feature of a Hollister store is the lack of lighting. The idea is to create a totally unique atmosphere, and the spotlights are designed to enhance the vibrancy of the colours of the clothes – colour being a major theme for Hollister. To be honest, the dim lighting quite often has the exact opposite effect, with one customer storming out because he claimed he couldn’t see the colour of the navy jacket he was trying. He had a point, but come on, navy is navy, it’s not exactly a multi tonal colour! I can however fully sympathise with all those who find the darkness disorientating as it is quite literally blinding when I re-emerge from the store at the end of a morning shift. Despite this, it is surprising how quickly your eyes adjust to the low lighting. If you have either the patience or the dedication to stick it out for longer than two minutes, it becomes much easier to navigate your way around the store, and you may just find something you love.

However, the thing about Hollister is that it is so successful and in such high demand that it can get away with being nightclub-esque, as no matter what, people will still shop there. In fact it is precisely because of the interior that some customers are so dedicated to the store. You’re not just purchasing a piece of Hollister clothing; you’re buying into an image and a brand name. Whether that’s right or wrong is another issue altogether.

Having said that, if you are open minded and willing to take a chance on Hollister, then you might find that the clothes are more ‘you’ than you had imagined. As well as the typical Hollister sweatshirts, t-shirts and hoodies that everyone knows about, they actually stock some really pretty tops and great jeans. They are the comfiest, best fitting jeans I have ever worn. Not only are they proper denim (I’m fed up of ripping my Topshop Leigh jeans as it does nothing for my self confidence) but they come in all different colours and styles so there really is a shape to suit everyone. I can honestly say that I’ve been completely converted by Hollister denim and I am the most surprised of anyone about that. A quick tip though, the jean wall is very intimidating so I would advise asking advice from one of the girls working on the shop floor. I’d recommend the super skinnys as they’re more structured than the jeggings and come in a better range of washes.

At the end of the day, whether you love it or you hate it, Hollister has provided us all with something to talk about. Whilst I am in no way attempting to convert Exeter students to the Hollister way of life (as I most definitely haven’t changed my style and don’t intend to), I do strongly feel that it is just another brand, and therefore nothing for everyone to get their knickers in a twist over. If you love the Hollister image then that’s great; if you’ve got an open mind and a sense of determination, then definitely take a look as you might find yourself never looking back.

Photo Credits: berriesandpassion.com, anfnewsnow.blogspot.com, svpply.com, jezebel.com

Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.