The Ultimate Guide to Creating your Halloween Playlist 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

No pumpkin carving session, spooky baking sesh, Halloween house party or pres would be complete without a selection of perfectly spooky songs to get you in the mood. After all, it’s only once a year and you’ve got to make the most of it. So go and grab that speaker and blast those Halloween bops to get you feeling spooky! 

The Classic Halloween Bops 

• Thriller, Michael Jackson 
  • Somebody’s Watching Me, Rockwell 
  • Highway to Hell, AC/DC 
  • Superstition, Stevie Wonder 
  • Ghostbusters, Ray Parker Jr. 
  • Everybody (Backstreet’s Back), Backstreet Boys 
  • Maniac, Michael Sembello 

I’m sorry, it just isn’t Halloween if these absolute classic bops don’t come out! They are the quintessential backbone to any and all Halloween playlists. Even if you just play them before everyone else arrives as you’re getting ready you are sure to get into a spooky mood! 

The 00s essentials

• Disturbia, Rihanna 
  • Murder on the Dancefloor, Sophie Ellis-Bextor 
  • She Wolf, Shakira 
  • Can’t be Tamed, Miley Cyrus 
  • Maneater, Nelly Furtado 
  • Monster, Lady Gaga 
  • E.T., Katy Perry 
  • Cannibal, Kesha 

These songs from the 00s are bound to make you feel spooky even if it’s just to remind you how old you are… I’m sorry, but how was I six when Maneater came out!? These bops are bound to get everyone dancing – they’re basically what you’d hear at a spooky cheesy night! 

Back from when we were teens 

• Bad Blood, Taylor Swift 
  • Ghost, Ella Henderson 
  • The Monster, Eminem and Rihanna 
  • Midnight City, M83
  • Demons, Imagine Dragons 
  • I’m in Love with a Monster, Fifth Harmony 
  • Youngblood, 5 Seconds of Summer 
  • R.I.P, Rita Ora and Tinie Tempah 
  • Bad Romance, Lady Gaga 

If you’re not blasting some Taylor, Rihanna and Lady Gaga at Halloween, you’re doing it wrong. These are absolute classics that probably don’t get enough credit for being the perfect addition to any Halloween playlist. Just picture carving your pumpkin to I’m in love with a monster… pure vibes. 

pop. Culture Bops

• Panic Room, Au/Ra 
  • Teeth, 5 Seconds of Summer 
  • Ashes, Stellar 
  • Sweet but Psycho, Ava Max 
  • Psycho, Maisie Peters 
  • W.I.T.C.H, Devon Cole 
  • Unholy, Sam Smith and Kim Petras 
  • Monster, Leah Kate 

If you’ve been on TikTok in the last two years, I’m 99.99% sure you will have heard at least half of these songs. They are popular on TikTok for a reason and will surely get you in a spooky mood! And if you’re into making TikToks even better, use them for some transitions to show you getting ready for your Halloween night out! 

However you’re celebrating Halloween this year, make sure to whack some tunes on and feel spooktacular this spooky season! 

Sophie is in her final year at the University of Exeter. She is the President, Editor in Chief, Social Secretary and Campus Correspondent for the Exeter Chapter of Her Campus (2021 - 2023). Sophie would love to work in the media, specifically marketing, when she graduates because of her love for reading and editing... in fact as you read this she is probably wishing that she was lying by a pool with a good book and an iced coffee!