The Lake District: making the most of Coniston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

I recently travelled with my friends to Coniston, Cumbria, in the Lake District for a camping excursion over the Bank Holiday. Our encampment was located on the Western Shore of Coniston Water, offering scenic views and a short walk to the lake. The Lake District marks England’s largest National Park and is host to an array of bustling villages and hiking spots. I thought that it would be prudent chronicle the four-days I spent there while simultaneously providing suggestions for things to do in the area.

Thursday

My first day in Coniston was largely consumed by the 5-hour drive to our location; after making some food at our encampment, I made an effort to go open water swimming in the nearby lake. The swim was bracing yet refreshing, offering a pleasant conclusion to our busy day.

Friday

We decided to utilise Friday to explore the local area and to branch into surrounding villages. We drove to Ambleside and Grasmere and were blessed with viridescent views and an array of quaint hamlets. We stumbled across The Lake Artists Society Summer Exhibition upon our arrival in Grasmere, it was a small fee for entry (£1) and was delightful to see the work of local artists. The artwork was varied in nature, presenting everything from sculptures to intricate oil paintings.

After exploring Ambleside and Grasmere, we travelled to Aira Force and Ullswater. Aira Force consisted of a short hike and showcased a beautiful waterfall for our efforts; Aira Force was spectacular for a number of reasons, namely its history as a Victorian park, its streams, and fascinating rock scenery.

Saturday

We decided to have a beach day on Saturday. We found a spot by the lake and basked in the sun for the whole evening; Coniston was particularly atmospheric on this day, people flocked to the beach to make the most of the weather. The water was sparkling under the sunlight, inviting many swimmers and water sports. After the sun had gone down, we lit a fire and made smores. Definitely the highlight of my trip.

Sunday

On Sunday morning we ventured to Orrest Head; this route consisted of a 3.5km round trip and a rewarding panoptical view over Windermere and central fells. After completing our short hike, we visited Coniston Boating Centre and rented a motorised boat for an hour (this cost us £40). While our boat went no faster than 5mph, it was fun to explore the lake and nearby views.

Highlights of the trip:

• Making smores and toasting them over an open fire (so wholesome!)
  • Sneaking into a forbidden area to get better pictures of Aira Force waterfall (shh)
  • Driving an exceptionally slow rental boat across the lake – it was a humbling experience getting overtaken by a couple on a paddleboard
A huge nerd with a passion for niche tv shows, RPGs, and playing my guitar. You will usually find me consuming unhealthy amounts of coffee, or stressing in the library!