Style > Beauty

THE 5 STEP MAKEUP ROUTINE THAT WILL GIVE YOU THAT LUXURY GLOW… AT HALF THE PRICE.

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

We all know how tempting it can be as a student to sacrifice a week’s worth of food for a singular item of makeup, especially when every celebrity and influencer we follow insists the product will change your life. Who needs to eat when your skin can look flawless instead? Well, I’m here to show you a 5-step routine that will give your skin the same finish as luxury makeup without breaking the bank.

Everyone has different skin types and different priorities when it comes to their makeup, but if you love a dewy, natural look, then you’ve come to the right place. My ideal makeup blends seamlessly into my skin, with glow as the focal point rather than full coverage. The products I’ve listed have been chosen with this in mind, but that’s not to say they’re not extremely versatile. What I love about these products is that because they are lightweight, they can easily be built up without becoming cakey. So, whether you’re after a subtle blur for the library, or full coverage for a night out, this list is definitely worth the read.

E.L.F. HALO GLOW LIQUID FILTER (£14 – BOOTS)

This product took Tik Tok by storm when it became known as the perfect dupe for the Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter. Although I haven’t tried the Flawless Filter myself, I can definitely vouch that Halo Glow is your dream base. This product acts as a hybrid between primer and foundation, making it extremely versatile; you can wear it on its own for a more lightweight look, under your foundation if you’re going for full coverage, or even on top of your makeup as a highlighter. Whichever option you choose, it is guaranteed to give you a glowy and natural finish. My favourite aspect of this product is the coverage: it’s sheer enough to see your skin through it but has enough coverage to even out your complexion and hide any redness. So, if you were thinking of dropping £40 on the Flawless Filter – think twice.

NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP BARE WITH ME CONCEALER SERUM (£11.49 – BOOTS)

NYX advertises this product as your dream crossover between skincare and makeup, containing tremella mushroom, cica and green tea. To help you understand what that means, tremella mushroom includes the same key component as Hyaluronic acid, making it extremely moisturising. Meanwhile, Cica has been used as a healing and anti-inflammatory agent in medicine for hundreds of years, making it great for reducing the appearance of fine lines and scarring. Lastly, green tea is a powerful antibacterial, helping to unclog pores and fight breakouts. I have little personal experience with acne or scarring, so will not pretend to be able to vouch for the healing aspects of the product, but as far as its hydrating qualities go – it’s a 10/10 from me. Like a moisturiser, this concealer feels like it sinks into your skin rather than sits on top of it, leaving no creasing or flaking, even by the end of the day.

Physicians Formula Murumuru Butter Bronzer (£14.99 – Boots)

The name of this bronzer says it all – it spreads on your skin just like butter. I’ve found that powder bronzers sometimes apply unevenly, leaving awkward patches or lines where the product seems to refuse to cling. This bronzer’s soft texture completely fixes this issue, acting as a hybrid between a powder and a cream product. As you’ll be able to tell from many of the items on this list, the biggest trend in makeup at the moment is incorporating skincare into each product, and this bronzer does just that. Infused with butters that are both hydrating and rich in vitamin A, this bronzer is moisturising as well as gives your skin an antioxidant boost. My favourite thing about this product is its wide range of shades, offering a unique variety of 8 different options. Plus, it smells like Pina Colada!

GLOSSIER CLOUD PAINT (£20 – GLOSSIER)

Yes, this is the most expensive item I’ve suggested so far, but I promise it’s worth it. This is purely because of how long one tube lasts – this cream blush is pigmented enough that 2-3 dots on each cheek is all you need, making the product last a long time. I’ve personally had the same tube for two years now and it’s only just started to run out – (let’s not pretend any of us actually follow the expiry dates on our makeup). My favourite thing about this product is how buildable it is. It’s gel-cream texture means it layers on top of itself and your other makeup seamlessly, giving you as bright of a look as you want while still appearing natural on your skin.

PHYSICIANS FORMULA MURUMURU BUTTER HIGHLIGHTER (£12.49 – BOOTS)

It’s time for our first repeat of the list with another Physician’s Formula Murumuru Butter product. This highlighter is infused with the same Amazonian butters as its bronzer equivalent, giving it that same moisturising, seamless quality. My favourite aspect of this highlighter is the way it applies. In the tub it has an almost mousse-like texture, making it super easy to blend into your skin and extremely buildable without the cakey build up I find you tend to get when you layer powder products. I personally like to apply it with my fingers, as I find the heat from my skin helps to soften it and really bring out the creamy texture of the product. While applying like a cream, this highlighter dries as a powder, which ensures you get that glimmer you’re after without risking looking oily.

With these 5 products, you are guaranteed to get double takes when people see how much you’re glowing, but just wait ‘till they hear how little it cost you! I curated a face of makeup based off of the top-rated high-end products at the moment, including the Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter (£39), the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Concealer (£35.50), the Nars Laguna Bronzing Powder (£33), the Chanel Joues Contraste Powder Blush (£37), and the Mac Mineralize Skinfinish Highlighter (£32) – adding up to a total of £176.50… over 2x as much as the face of makeup listed above adds up to. That’s not to say the luxury products aren’t amazing at what they do, but as students they simply aren’t accessible to our budget. So, try out these affordable alternatives instead and enjoy feeling confident and glowy for under £75!

Hiya, I’m Melina and I’m a final year English student at the University of Exeter. My passions are travelling, cooking and fashion!