A Tea party with a Twist: HCX Turned 1!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

On Thursday 31st January, Her Campus Exeter turned 1: and what a birthday it was! We, here at HCX, love a good excuse for a party and celebrating our first birthday was the perfect excuse.

We donned our dresses and high heels following the dress code of “cocktail dresses with a hint of pink” and hit 44 Below (a well-hidden cocktail bar just off Queen’s Street). There, we were greeted by one of the greatest novelties of 44 Below, cocktails in tea pots! This fitted perfectly with the theme of the birthday, A Pink Mad Hatter’s Tea Party. With such a wide variety of cocktails it was proving difficult to choose just the one; however, the Very Berry Iced Tea, Long Island Iced Tea and British Pimm’s cocktails all proved themselves very popular.

The room was decorated beautifully with bunting, pom-poms, balloons (it was a birthday after all) and little photo frames. There was a raffle offering fantastic prizes including: a back massage from Purity spa; a sweetie hamper from Sweet Cheeks; cinema tickets from Exeter Phoenix; a meal for two at Urban Burger; keychains from Inside Out and candleholders from Crystals. It was a brilliant night and the perfect location to sit and chat, sipping cocktails: what more could you want?! It was really great to meet girls from different teams and generally to mingle with such a fun bunch of girls! We loved seeing so many of the team there – especially some of the more recent team members – and it was lovely to be able to get to know you all a little better.

This fun was made even more guilt free by the fact all profit is going towards our charity Look Good Feel Better. Find out more about our chosen charity here!

And of course no birthday party is complete without a cake! And what a cake it was! A white chocolate and lemon sponge cake with strawberry mousse-like filling complete with icing, little eat me signs made of white chocolate and strawberry bon-bons around the edge. Heaven! What a treat from one of our own HCX girls!

This certainly was a birthday tea party like no other. A special thank you to those girls who were behind the organization of the event, it was a huge success and ran seamlessly. Another special thank you to ; Purity Spa, Sweetcheeks.co.uk, Exeter Phoenix, Inside Out, Urban Burger and Crystals who kindly donated our raffle prizes and to 44 Below for being such a great venue – we’ll be back! Finally, Lauren and Caroline would like to thank all of the team, and especially Georgie Hazell (our former President) – once again! – you’ve been amazing this year and we’re really looking forward to working with you more over the coming year.  Watch this space for all our exciting articles, comeptitions and achievements over the next year…

Being the kind and generous girls that we are, we gave you a present on our 1st birthday! If you haven’t already, make sure you check out our 1st Birthday video here and photos from the night here!

Happy 1st Birthday Her Campus Exeter – here’s to another year of success!

Photos courtesy of Facebook

Lauren is the President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Exeter, as well as the Manager of UK Expansion and a National Writer for HerCampus.com. While she has worked with Her Campus Exeter it has achieved Pink Chapter Level status and has grown to its current status as one of the most successful chapters internationally. She's determined to grow Her Campus in the UK this year and so is looking foward to working on increasing the number of HC UK chapters and to helping the established chapters improve and develop. This summer she was lucky enough to intern in the Her Campus Head Office in Boston, and had the most amazing time -- any time she can go back, she will! In her spare time Lauren loves to play tennis, catch up with her friends, go for long walks in the Scottish countryside or to watch chick-flicks under her duvet. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @laurenhudson25.