wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
wolfgang hasselmann TwLGzTFFFio unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Summer Flings: Are They Really A Good Idea?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

As summer comes to a close and the bikinis are returned to the closet, it’s time to reflect on the season past. Undeniably for students, summer is the best part of the year, as the three months of freedom brings out the freckles and hides the books. Unfortunately the balmy days come to an end just as quickly as your alcohol free detox did. So what are your highlights? Long days spent on the beach? Pimms in the garden? Or perhaps that certain holiday fling that occupied your heart, and your bed, for a few weeks?

But how sensible are these summer romances? The excitement of meeting somebody on the beach, their glowing skin dusted with sand and their tousled hair rocking the surfer look, is undeniable. A tan makes a standard 7 out of 10 a solid 9, so it’s difficult to resist the nights of passion under air con rumpled sheets. But when the tans fade and Facebook becomes the only thing you have in common, was it really worth it?

Just this summer I’ve had friends fall in love in just one night, with the dark eyed waiter or the cheeky club rep. But sometimes they fall too hard; for you, that romance might define your summer, but for him, you are a mere drop in the ocean.

One gal pal of mine took one lucky suitor back to her apartment, only to awake the next morning to find not just him missing, but also her holiday savings. Another spent three weeks blissfully unaware of the beauty of the Greek sunsets and the wide range of cuisine, as she stared into the eyes of her holiday lover, a guy who was out with his friends enjoying the ‘scenery’.  It was difficult to tell who was more shocked when his girlfriend turned up to surprise him.

HCX is not denying how fun these holiday flings can be -you should make your holiday whatever you wish it to be – don’t hold back on our account! But just be aware that these flings are just that; short and sweet. So don’t forget ladies, next summer when packing for you holiday, suncream might not be the only protection you need…

Photo Credits: weheartit.com

2nd year English Lit student.