Study Abroad: What I’m Looking Foward To This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Here in the U.S. one academic year is made up of two semesters unlike the three terms we have in the UK, so I’m pretty much halfway through my year abroad at this point (though I plan on staying on as long as possible once I’m turfed out of halls in the Summer). Now that my Spring semester is just starting it seemed like the perfect time to write a ‘what I’m looking forward to’ article about the upcoming few months in Mississippi.

Travel

Last semester I managed a few trips within Mississippi and to neighbouring states Louisiana, Tennessee and Alabama as well as an amazing Fall Break excursion to the Bahamas. I also technically spent some time in Georgia, Florida and Texas but I don’t think it really counts if I never left the airport. One of the best things about living abroad is the opportunity to use it as a springboard to see so much more than I’d normally be able to on an average holiday and I can’t wait to travel even more this semester. I’m definitely planning some extensive travelling once university is over in the Summer to some further afield locations, I’d love to travel up the East coast and my family have strongly recommended trips to California and Texas. I’ll also hopefully visit some more ‘closer’ (a very relative term somewhere as vast as the U.S.) destinations here in the South.

Mardi Gras
In the U.K. we call Mardi Gras ‘Shrove Tuesday’ or ‘Pancake Day’ and, well, we make and eat pancakes, thrilling. In my little corner of the U.S. Mardi Gras is a day (or now much longer period) of excess in every way with drinking and revelry starting as early as possible. New Orleans guarantees an amazing time throughout the years but Mardi Gras is what it’s known for with parades and balls throughout the weeks leading up to it. Given my school’s location we get Mardi Gras off (though even if we hadn’t I doubt it would stop many) so I for one can’t wait to see how Shrove Tuesday should really be celebrated. Sometimes missing my beloved Cheesy Tuesdays at Arena isn’t really so bad.

Spring Break

We may not get a month long Easter holiday over here, but the prospect of experiencing Spring break as a college student in America more than makes up for it. Imagine the constant party of Fresher’s Week but instead of it being September in some rainy UK city, we’re letting loose in sunny Miami or Mexico where hangovers can be dealt with by cocktails on the beach rather than with curly fries in the Ram. I for one cannot wait.

There’s so much more I can’t wait to experience this semester from being even more involved in my sorority as we go through Spring recruitment to meeting the new exchange students who’ll be feeling just as daunted as I was this time 5 months ago. And of course I’ll be reunited with all my amazing American friends. If it’s anything like last semester this one is bound to be amazing and go by in a flash, now I’m just ready for it to start.

Image Credits: frankmatters.com, worldredeye.com

Alice Calder is in her fourth year studying Philosophy, Politics and Economics at the University of Exeter. She spent her third year studying abroad at the University of Southern Mississippi where she fell in love with all things Deep South. After interning in Washington DC for the summer Alice's love of politics grew and developed into her career ambition. Aside from politics she likes music, exploring the great outdoors, and enjoying food in every possible form.