Study Abroad Series: The Netherlands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Thinking of spending a Year studying Abroad? Having doubts? Not sure where to go? HCX Travel is here to help! We’ve spoken to final year students who have spent time studying across the globe. This week, History and Politics student Cally tells us about her year spent at University College Utrecht.

Why did you decide to spend a year studying in Europe?

I chose to study abroad because I didn’t want to graduate yet! I wanted to spend more time enjoying the university experience and delay job hunting. Europe was a great option because I could get the Erasmus grant, which would help me fund my travelling. I was really keen to travel and Netherlands is international hub of Europe. As a politics student I was really interested in the Haig and ICC. The other benefit of Europe is all the countries are close together so it’s easier to travel to lots of places.

What were the main differences between Exeter and Utrecht?

Definitely the size. I was on a tiny international campus with only about 700 students. Because of this resources were far fewer. There wasn’t a campus library so we used the one in town. The other major difference was that Utrecht is an international college so there were students from all over the world.

What were the highlights of your year?

I really enjoyed ‘Intro Week’. It was a lot more structured than Fresher’s week in Exeter. I had to attend certain events, which meant I got to meet a lot of people. The free bar nights were pretty great too. The other highlight has to be the travelling. My favourite place I visited was Slovakia.  The capital city, Bratislava, is small and cheap, but with plenty to do – both going out and sightseeing.

Were there any downsides to studying abroad?

The small campus and lack of facilities meant I didn’t get much help with my studies or much support from University staff. As a dyslexic it was really hard to get extra time for my exams because they’re not used to dealing with special conditions. I also didn’t know Utrecht University College was an honours college. This means it’s more selective, so was also more intense. I had a really high workload and spent a lot more time studying than I expected. If I’d known I wouldn’t have chosen that for my year abroad.

Being in Holland, did you find there was a language barrier?

No. Pretty much everyone speaks English. I took a Dutch course for one term so I got to know some of the language, but I didn’t need to.

When you weren’t studying, what did you get up to?

I spent lots of time travelling Europe, as well as exploring other Dutch cities. I would often go cycling around the country and on the canals. I ate a lot of pancakes and Bitterballen. Oh and hanging out at the University bar – the drinks were very cheap.

What would you say to other students considering a year abroad in Holland?

UCU is great if you want to grow academically, but I would recommend Rotterdam for a more rounded experience, because they have a lot less work. Definitely go to Holland though!

I am a fourth year student reading for a degree in English with History and Middle Eastern Studies. When I'm not busy writing essays, I love fleeing campus and exploring anywhere and everywhere. My favourite place in the world (other than Exeter, of course) is Iquitos in South America.