This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Forget the Freshers’ fifteen, right now I am battling Erasmus Expansion. Yes all the tapas, casual drinks after work and vodka límons have a price…. on your waistline. Fret not: here are some tips to avoid this fate.

1) Joining a gym: 

Not only a good way to keep in shape but also great for making friends and improving your language skills. If at first you don’t understand the instructors, don’t worry they’ll just think you are uncoordinated and help you out. I joined Vivagym, a new chain popping up all over Spain that offers classes and the use of its modern facilities for a competitive price. They have fun classes to help make that trip to the gym a bit more bearable. I’ve become a regular at spinning in their UV room but also have tried my hand at aerobics, Pilates and even a special Thriller class on Halloween.

Some people really got into their role

2) Running:
I love running at home and from day one of being in Vigo I have kept this habit up. Fresh air does wonders for your spirits and can help rid you of those sangria fuelled hangovers. Plus what better way to get to know your new surroundings? And if you get lost, all the better for practicing your Español.

Not a bad place for a morning run.

3) Eat Well:
Ok so I’ve mentioned the tapas but Spain also produces great healthy food. The region I live in is famous for its fish, great to boost those braincells and forgiving on the thighs. Plus think about all the lovely fresh vegetables and fruit from Spain that we buy in shops at home for double the price!

Daily scramble at the fruit and veg shop…

[pagebreak]

4) Walk more:
Vigo is full of hills. Think cardiac hill or the forum climb every time you turn a corner and that pretty much sums up the topography of the city. Embrace it though and maybe walks to campus in forth year won’t be such a chore.

5) Give yourself a challenge!
At the end of this year I aim to complete my first ever half marathon. I will prepare for the gruelling 21km run along the coast of Vigo for that triumphant feeling of accomplishment when (or if) I get to the end. Hopefully it will be a great end to a fantastic experience abroad!

Photo Credits: alexloves.com, facebook.com/pages/vivagym, pinterest.com