Spice up your January with this yummy veggie chilli recipe!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s January, and whatever your list of new years’ resolutions contains, almost all of us will have at least one food-related change we’re hoping to make in 2019. Whether yours is to cut back on meat, cook more often, eat more veg, or even go vegan, this simple recipe can help! It makes about four servings so it’s great for sharing with your flat or housemates, or keeping in the fridge for lunch during the week.

My favourite cheeky-choccy chilli

What you’ll need:

• 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (olive oil works too if you don’t have any coconut oil in your cupboards!)
  • 1 red onion, chopped finely
  • 1 red pepper, chopped finely
  • 1 aubergine, cut into 1cm dice
  • A 200g tin of chopped tomatoes
  • A 300g tin of black beans
  • A clove of garlic, crushed
  • A teaspoon of chilli flakes
  • 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
  • ½ a teaspoon of ground cumin
  • 25g dark chocolate/ vegan dark chocolate, roughly chopped (chilli chocolate works even better if you can source some!)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

1. Melt the coconut oil in a shallow frying pan.
  2. Add the onion and red pepper and cook over a medium heat for four to five minutes.
  3. Add the diced aubergine and cook for an additional five minutes.
  4. Add all the spices (cumin, chilli flakes, garlic, salt/pepper) and turn up the heat for an additional minute, stirring so all the veg is covered and fragrant.
  5. Add the tomatoes and soy sauce, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for ten minutes (or until the aubergine is tender)
  6. Drain the tin of black beans and add to the mix, stir well and leave to simmer for a few more minutes. Smell/taste the mix and add more seasoning as desired.
  7. Remove from the heat and add the chocolate pieces, stirring until they’ve melted into the chilli.
  8. Serve over rice, in a tortilla, or as a quesadilla filling.

Enjoy!

I'm an undergraduate reading BSc Politics and International Relations at the University of Exeter. I have a passion for current affairs and want to write articles that make complicated issues understandable for everyone. As a proud aspergirl and Childline ambassador I also want to use my writing to raise awareness around mental health conditions and disabilities.