‘Side Effects’ Film Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Who else saw Channing Tatum and Jude Law in the same film trailer of Side Effects and thought rom-com? Because I did, and so organised to go and see it with my best friend from home when I went home last weekend. I didn’t even look it up online to see what it was about, or if it was even worth seeing… I just assumed since the 2 gods of good looking both star in it that it would be an instant hit.

And so it probably has been with those who are into psychological dramas! I, however, do not belong to that group of people. Going to the cinema for me is about relaxing and not using my brain to work out some sort of clever, mysterious plot. I’m more of a boy-meets-girl-they-fall-in-love-with-some-obstacle-in-between kind of girl.

However, this article is supposed to be a film review. Thus, I will put my biased and ignorant attitude to one side, and try and enlighten you all as to the plot and quality of acting from Side Effects, directed by Stephen Soderbergh. What I will say before anything, is that despite this never being the sort of film I would go to the cinema to see, it was fantastic acting from all actors, and the story line (once I understood it…at the end…) was clever and thought provoking.

It will come as no surprise to hear that Channing Tatum and Jude Law delivered as always in Side Effects. If I’m being completely honest though, I think Jude Law is much better suited to the sexy man-next-door type of character, as I found it very difficult to see him as a serious and genuine psychiatrist in this. Channing Tatum on the contrary did a superb job at playing the helpless, tryhard husband of the quasi-mental main character, Emily, played by Rooney Mara. Emily is the wife of Martin (Channing Tatum) who has just been released from prison for 4 years, and during his time in prison she has been scheming with a psychiatrist from her childhood with the aim of enhancing the success of a certain drug, and making a fortune from the change in stock prices. This change was manipulated to come about through Emily’s new psychiatrist prescribing competing drugs to her, and her falsely carrying out dangerous activities which fall into the realm of ‘side effects’ of this competing drug , thus enhancing the credibility and popularity of the other drug that Emily and her former psychiatrist are working for the success of. Confused? I was.

I never know exactly how far film reviews should go in terms of what they tell the reader. I don’t want to ruin the end of the film for you or give away all the details of the conspiracy, but at the same time, it’s good to read something like this if you’re anything like me, and need a bit of foundational understanding before going to see a film that actually requires you to use your brain! Enjoy!

Photo credits

http://judelawlife.blogspot.co…

http://teaser-trailer.com/side-effects-movie-trailer/

http://uk.ign.com/articles/201…

Georgia is in her third year at Exeter studying English and French Law. Last year she headed the Culture team as Local Culture editor, informing all of our lovely readers about the best events and places to explore in this beautiful city. She may have taken off her cultural clogs, but she is still heavily involved in Her Campus Exeter, leading the team as joint President with Florence Christie this year.When she isn’t slaving away at French law, or updating her Tumblr of pretty pictures stolen from other more committed bloggers, she can be spotted in the Forum sipping a hazlenut laté, whilst feeling guilty for said indulgence and Instagramming pictures of Costa cups. When day turns to night, Monday Arena is generally a favourite haunt or when she is feeling particularly edgy you may find her by the quayside at Cellar Door embracing her inner Cara Delvigne- thougbts of Costa on her mind! Although she never says no to a night in with her girls, watching chick flicks- preferably involving Ed Westwick.At the end of this year,  Georgia will continue to pursue her career as a lawyer, saying goodbye to rainy Britain and Bonjour to très chic France, where she will be completing the final year of her degree. Continuing to follow her mantra of work hard play hard, I wouldn’t be surprised if in in no time this girl could give Legally Blonde Elle Brooks a run for her money.