This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Be it an evening of chilled live music at Mama Stones or Drum and Base at Cellar Door, no student can deny that despite being one of the smaller university towns, Exeter can always be relied upon for a good night out! However, if your routine Mondays at Mosaic are beginning to bore, you’ll be pleased to discover the newest addition to Exeter’s nightlife – ‘Rumours’.

Located on Fore Street just beyond WalkAbout, which is perhaps a little further than most are willing to travel in heels, ‘Rumours’ is quite the hidden gem and worth the walk! It’s a relatively small club, but what it lacks in size it certainly makes up for in atmosphere. To describe Rumours in one word would be ‘quirky’, entering to find white furnishings and eerie blue lighting effects, creating the unusual sensation of being in some sort of ice cave. There are low ceilings, rustic wooden floorboards and the thick walls are full of nooks, some containing squishy leather sofas. The downstairs bar area offers adequate seating and provides a good space for lounging, chatting and drinking. Bars are generously staffed meaning service is quick, queuing kept to a minimum and according to a friend of HCX there are “really hot barmaids”… which may heighten the appeal for any male readers! The drinks prices are also particularly student friendly, with two cocktails for £6, shots from £1, selected bottles from £1.25 and a Jager Bomb happy hour.

Rumour’s first floor features a second bar and the dance floor. A sofa bench runs along the entire floor, which is great for a rest mid-dance! The space isn’t massive, scaling up to approximately the dimensions of Mosaic’s upstairs, but this only serves to intensify the atmosphere and the walls are lined with mirrors, which visually counterbalances the small size. Rumour’s musical scene could be described as highly versatile and catering for most tastes, remixes of Lana Del Rey are swiftly followed by the delights of Dizzy Rascal.

One criticism of the club might be the toilets, which are by far the most unusual to be experienced in Exeter! A diagonal, low wall divides the men’s and ladies with an open top so you can hear all that is going on next door. Sinks and water supplies are shared through this wall so watch out for hand grabbing from the other side. However, despite the bizarre bathroom design layout, the décor is very stylish featuring glass bowl sinks, black glittery walls, and cubicles entered through double doors.  

So, if you are looking for a fresh scene in Exeter, rumour has it that ‘Rumours’ may just be the answer! Check it out for yourselves!

Photo Credit: www.facebook.com/RumoursEX4

Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.