This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Last week HCX were invited to the exclusive press launch of Exeter’s most exciting new restaurant, the RUBY Diner on Queen Street. Styled as a modern take on the classic American Diner, RUBY serves delicious fresh food sourced from around the Exeter and Devon area.

On arrival, Kate Dally, Kate Bannatyne and I were handed a glass of Prosecco each and greeted by the owners Erin and Dicky – a lovely pair who are so enthusiastic about their food. We were encouraged to have a look around, check out the wine tasting session and try some of the items from their menu being circulated by the RUBY waitresses. As the restaurant started to fill up with the local press, we got a chance to sit back and really appreciate the stylish finish of Exeter’s latest eatery. The diner has a sleek, polished look with a charcoal grey, red and white colour scheme, but manages to maintain a relaxed, casual atmosphere. There are red leather booths, long benches or higher bar-style tables to sit at, and a comfy sofa-style seat available for a more casual coffee break. The mezzanine level contains more seating areas, and allows the beautiful features of the old building to shine through.

All of the burgers being handed round were their ‘Sliders’ – essentially mini burgers. Soon we were being offered a chance to try one of the Diner’s vegetarian offerings: a ‘Faloumi’ burger – a falafel burger with guacamole, lemon yoghurt, Mexican seasoning and grilled Haloumi cheese in a delicious toasted brioche bun. Whilst the girls and I agreed this was very yummy, by the time we left we were raving about the beef burgers – sourced from a Ruby red beef farm in a mid Devon. Kate Dally enjoyed their signature ‘RUBY’ burger; a beef burger, smoked streaky bacon, Hawkridge mature cheddar, Ruby sauce, lettuce, tomato and red onion: delicious! I loved the ‘Blue’ burger: a beef pattie with roasted chestnut mushrooms and Devonshire blue cheese. We adored the signature Mac’n’Cheese, as well as the ‘Proper Chips’: skin left on and fried in beef dripping. The pulled pork was to die for, and the onion rings were just right. To wash this down we were handed chocolate milkshakes containing liquid chocolate, chocolate ice-cream, malt and milk. Finally, we were treated to some gorgeous salted caramel waffles with whipped cream – the perfect way to end a great evening tasting the delights of Exeter’s first Modern Diner. 

Kate Dally: “The RUBY Diner on Queen Street is a fabulous authentic restaurant with delicious, delectable food (which is also all locally sourced!). The diner has a friendly relaxed atmosphere and great décor (think plush red booths, eclectic artwork etc…). The opening showcased key items on their menu, and trust me, everything was scrumptious! You would be crazy not to check out their twist on traditional American cuisine. RUBY’s was, to put it simply, amazing!”

Whether you’re having a meal with friends, a casual lunch date or you want to take the parents somewhere new, RUBY Diner is the place to go. The menu is eclectic and not too pricey – around the same price as the generic Italian chain restaurants we have so many of in Exeter!

Check out their menu here

Watch this space for an exciting full review of eating out at RUBY Diner: what to order and why!

Photo Credits:

Caroline Butten

http://mattaustinimages.wordpr…

Caroline Butten is a Third Year English student at The University of Exeter. She is planning to pursue a career in Publishing after graduating next Summer, and finds being President of the Exeter chapter of Her Campus is a great way to develop her editorial, marketing and business skills. As well as writing and editing articles for Her Campus, Caroline has a lifestyle blog and enjoys posting about fashion, beauty and baking. Her favourite publications include the UK magazines Company, Glamour and Cosmopolitan. Favourite books include The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë and any kind of cookery book. On campus, she is a part of the Netball and Lacrosse Clubs, and also studies French language as part of her degree. After University, Caroline plans to spend some time working in Paris both to improve her French and to explore in depth the city she loves.