Romeo, Oh Romeo! Burberry Has a Fun New Frontman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

A certain Beckham has been hitting the headlines recently but for once it’s not David’s golden balls, or Posh’s pout. Just when you thought Harper was the star, The Times has placed Romeo 8th in their list of people to watch in the fashion industry. Move over Cara Delevingne, and Eddie Redmayne: in a stroke of marketing genius, Romeo has been unveiled as the face of Burberry’s Spring/Summer 2013 campaign and for a fashion first timer, he’s made quite a splash in the pool! Who better to advertise Burberry’s childrenswear than one quarter of the offspring of Britain’s most famous family (bar the royals)? The only way you could top that is if Kate and Wills hand over baby Cambridge to Burberry, which though unlikely, shouldn’t be ruled out after this.

This campaign is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the public’s obsession with celebrity broods. From the Jolie-Pitt gang to little Suri Cruise, the media documents the lives of these little darlings to a shocking extent. Websites such as www.celebritybabyscoop.com regularly posts photos of the famous families and the popularity of celeb baby names has rocketed. This craze will go into overload with the arrival of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s surprise babe and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s heir later this year. No doubt we will be up to our eyeballs with baby names, christening gifts, birthing plans and pregnancy workouts. Christopher Bailey, Burberry’s Chief Creative Officer has hit this trend on the head with Romeo Beckham’s appointment and it’s hard to criticise the result.

The advert has an Alice in Wonderland vibe to it: the models look strange and surreal compared to cute little Romeo darting around, yet this dynamic shows off the new collection beautifully. Classic beige trenches and capes are teamed with jewel coloured sunglasses and accessories, so that the colours just pop. Our favourite pieces are the bright, metallic trench coats (hitting the shops at £1995) which, although slightly absurd, dazzle the screen in stunning shades of pink and purple. It looks futuristic and luxurious, without being tacky. Monochrome also makes an entrance in the form of sharp suits and coats, and is oh so sophisticated. Bailey has done a fantastic job of mixing Burberry’s heritage pieces with current fabrics and colours and these clothes aren’t afraid to stand out. Bravo Burberry!

Of course it looks great on Cara Delevingne and Edie Campbell, but doesn’t everything just look better in miniature? Along with a pygmy horse, my list of small things I want now includes the tiny pink trench that Romeo dons. He has definitely inherited his family’s good looks (the lucky devil) and he brings a really playful energy to the scene. Romeo resembles a child stuck in a toy shop, or someone let loose in a museum after it’s been closed: he darts in and out of the frozen models, jumping up and down to grab the camera’s attention, while the adults look on powerless. Giggling at them as they pose, he makes their serious stances look silly compared to his relaxed style. The highlight is Edie Campbell cracking a smile as Romeo does a Usain Bolt style pose behind her. It’s like he’s trying to make one of the Queen’s guards laugh. He remains a child having fun in this campaign, which is a refreshing move on Burberry’s part.

So how do you think the adults feel about being outshone by a 10 year old? We can’t help but smile as he tugs on Campbell’s arm and Delevingne looks on stormily. Her face screams ‘Get out of the shot, Beckham, and get your dirty mitts off my coat!’ I doubt he has put them out of a job yet, but who knows what the future of the modelling world may hold. Will we see Harper Beckham toddling up the summer catwalk, accompanied by Suri Cruise? Maybe it’s Brooklyn Beckham’s turn in the Autumn/Winter collection? Whatever happens, we’ll be seeing plenty more of Romeo in the years to come.

Take a look for yourself:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87556Xu5nnU

Picture credits

digitalspy.co.uk

guardian.co.uk

reveal.co.uk

Lily Houghton is in her final year at Exeter studying English. With an unhealthy addiction to shopping, and unparalled knowledge of Exeter's retail sector, the role of Fashion and Beauty Editor seemed to be made for Lily, and her parents were thrilled she channelled her energy towards something that didn't involve spending money. Whilst her goal of bringing the catwalks of Milan and Paris to the sunny south of England may be slighty ambitious, she also hopes to banish the jeans/flip-flop trend from campus once and for all, and impose an immediate expulsion rule on anyone seen in daylight in a onesie. Contradictory to many women interested in fashion, she loves cake, her Ugg boots, and spending an afternoon immersed in an Emily Dickinson anthology. She hopes to travel America before going into the fashion industry, although she still hasn't come to terms with just how soon she will be graduating.