This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Ladies there is a new health food on the block…and this one actually does taste GOOD! Forget pretentious, unhealthy ‘fads’ and embrace unadulterated luxury: gloriously un-refined and totally addictive we’re looking at reasons to LOVE chocolate. Personally, I cannot think of a more welcomed piece of news so close to Easter. I know, it sounds too good to be true, but relatively recent studies carried out into the effects that chocolate has on the body show that it very much deserves its place in the fabled group of ‘super-foods’. Whilst bearing in mind the saying “everything in moderation”, why not dispel sombre dissuasions issued by the stiff upper lips of the health world, and instead tuck in to a little piece of what you fancy!

So why is chocolate so good, what are the benefits? Our Top 10 Reasons to Love Chocolate can help answer this question, followed by a recipe for Easter showstopper cupcakes boasting indulgent levels of silky smooth chocolate…

The Origins of Chocolate:

The plant to which we owe eternal thanks is that of the Theobroma cacao tree, for the production of cocoa beans. Thus we have our first (if a little tenuous) healthy link; chocolate is derived from a plant. Incidentally the Latin translation of theobroma cacao is ‘food of the gods’, no surprises there, and it is a plant of many talents. A close relative of plants such as the tea plant it is high in flavanols and thus has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.

1) Maintaining a Healthy Weight

A constant, often completely irrational, worry for many girls is the issue of expanding waistlines. In the past chocolate has been accused of sullying our chances of sculpting the perfect beach body, but perhaps not anymore for some kinds of the sweet stuff. While the age-old saying about moderation still applies, research has shown that dark chocolate can actually aid us in our quest to gain and maintain a healthy weight. By satisfying our sweet tooth and reducing appetite dark chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa solids successfully lessens cravings for sweet, salty and fatty foods making it easier to stick to a healthy diet. WINNER!

2) It Looks After Your Heart…

Clearly there is a reason chocolate and Valentine’s Day have such an affinity. Scientific studies have shown that consuming chocolate produced a reduction in the risk of heart failure by up to a third; an attribute of chocolate due to the presence of flavonoids with their ability to increase the flexibility of veins and arteries.

Yes, chocolate may often risk adulteration by the vast consumer market with the addition lashings of sugar, milk and butter, but guess what ladies: a chocolate bar has five times the amount of flavonoids of an apple! If you are feeling particularly virtuous you needn’t avoid chocolate altogether, opt for the darkest variety and avoid some of the naughty additives.                                            

3) Fat Eliminator

Hard to believe, but chocolate in its darkest and most luxurious form has been proven to lower cholesterol levels. Whilst cocoa does contain saturated fat, it is in the form of stearic acid which is actually cholesterol neutral! Admittedly much of the chocolate consumed on a daily basis has added saturated acids and sugar which unfortunately slightly negates this point, but if you stick to the pure stuff you’re onto a winner.

4) Combat That Exam Stress

Proven to reduce the presence of stress hormones, chocolate is the ultimate comfort food! Ladies, it’s time to stop feeling guilty about that sneaky trip to the forum shop when levels of stress threaten to push you over the balcony.

5) Intelligent Choice

Furthermore, that same purchase could actually benefit your work efforts by boosting your brain power. Yet another attribute to the hallowed presence of flavanols within chocolate is the effect they have on boosting blood flows to the brain; improving both performance and alertness.

[pagebreak]

6) Sunwise

In preparation for a lazy summer of soaking up the sun rays, stock up on rich, high-flavanol dark chocolate which has been proven to reduce the skin’s tendency to burn in sunlight!

7) Go Away Tickly Coughs

The presence of theobromine in chocolate has been proven to sooth coughs by supressing activity in the vagus nerve part of the brain and what’s more it has none of the negative side effects of codeine, our usual go to when quieting a tedious cough.

8) Minimise Your BMI

Chocolate has been linked with increased metabolic rate and studies show that frequent consumption has been shown to reduce BMI. This comes as a welcome piece of news for us chocolate addicts.                      

9) Helps with…Digestive matters

A bit gross I know, but chocolate, or more specifically cocoa, has historically been used for treatment of diarrhoea.

10) Why On Earth Not

So, strictly speaking this point isn’t health related but who cares? Chocolate makes us feel good so make the most of your little moments of indulgence. Whilst research is still on-going into the true effects that chocolate has on mood, it’s not hard to state the obvious. I’m a firm believer that a little of what we love can only be a good thing and by denying ourselves life’s little luxuries we are missing out…so loosen up ladies and live a little.

[pagebreak]

So with the benefits of chocolate singing in your ears feel free to indulge in my Easter showstopper cupcakes, in blissful guilt free (well almost) appreciation.

Decadent chocolate, hazelnut and cardamom cupcakes with a Ferrero Roche heart and a dark chocolate praline ganache

(These aren’t Sophie’s cupcakes, but look pretty similar!)

Ingredients:

·         150g Butter – chopped

·         150g dark chocolate

·         50g milk chocolate

·         100g self-raising flour

·         ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda

·         85g ground hazelnuts

·         About 4-5 cardamom pods – ground – use the seeds only and discard the shells (optional)

·         30g of cocoa powder

·         200g caster sugar

·         85g soft light brown sugar

·         2 eggs – beaten

·         100ml milk

·         85 ml water

·         18 x Ferrero Rocher chocolates (alternatively you could use Lindors)

Topping:

·         100g Cadbury milk chocolate – broken into chunks

·         85g Dark Chocolate – broken into chunks

·         150ml double cream

·         85g caster sugar

·         85g of hazelnuts – chopped roughly and lightly toasted

·         Novelty chicks (optional)

Method:

·         Pre-heat the oven to 160C and line a muffin tin with paper cases

·         Place a heatproof bowl over simmering water (don’t allow it to touch the water) and melt the chocolate (150g Dark chocolate and 50g milk) and butter together in the bowl – stir regularly

·         In a large bowl combine the ground hazelnuts, self-raising flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder and cardamom

·         Separately mix the butter and chocolate mixture (having allowed it to cool slightly) along with the sugar and egg

·         Now incorporate the water and milk into the chocolate mixture – again mix well

·         Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients – and carefully combine

·         Spoon mixture into the paper cases until about ¼ full then place a fererro rocher chocolate in the centre of each

·         Spoon the rest of the mixture into the cases – dividing it evenly – and bake for about 25-30 minutes

·         Allow to cool on a wire rack

Decoration and topping:

Method:

·         Heat the cream in a saucepan until nearly boiling (don’t allow to boil)

·         Pour over the chocolate and leave for a couple of minutes before stirring until all of the chocolate has melted – put to one side and stir about every 10 minutes until it reaches a spreadable consistency

·         Whilst the ganache is cooling make the praline

·         Firstly lay a sheet of tinfoil on a flat surface and sprinkle the nuts evenly over it

·         Pour the caster sugar into a large none stick pan (I use a frying pan) – make sure the base is evenly covered

·         Gradually melt the sugar being careful not to stir it (it will crystalize if messed with)

·         When the sugar has dissolved continue to heat until you get a golden brown colour then remove from the heat instantly (before it burns)

·         Immediately pour over the nuts and allow to set

·         When cool – break the praline up and blitz to a rough crumb in the blender

·         Spread the ganache onto each cup cake and sprinkle with the praline crumb so that it looks roughly like a nest – sit the novelty chick in the nest and sprinkle with edible gold dust (optional)

Sources: 

http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/chocolate#2

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/benefits-of-chocolate

Image Credits: pinterest.com, medscape.com, butterfacecakes.blogspot.com

Sophie is a third year History and Politics student (mixing it up with a bit of French on the side) with a keen interest in planning events, fitness and creating culinary based articles. Being a member of Her Campus allows her to combine these two interests by regularly writing articles for the Health and Fitness section as well as planning the social events for the chapter.