Provide A Pad: Breaking the Stigma

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The recent legislation that finally lifted the Tampon Tax has been a positive step towards breaking the stigma behind issues of menstruation. For a very long time, there has been a certain taboo surrounding the topic, and ideas of ‘period shame’ have been prominent in all sections of society. However, although period products are no longer legally regarded as a luxury product, for some, they are precisely that.

Sanitary products are the products in highest demand at Homeless Shelters. 26% of those seeking homeless services in the UK are women, and although a lot of shelters receive plentiful donations of food and are bombarded with volunteers – where sanitary products are concerned, they are severely under-stocked.

What is Provide a Pad?

Provide a Pad is a student led campaign that aims to tackle the under-exposed issue of menstruation amongst the homeless community. It aims to break the stigma behind the issue and show that menstruation matters, particularly at a time when transgender and non-binary homelessness is on the rise, thus increasing the demand for sanitary products. 

How can you help?

Provide a Pad is running a donation drive from the 7th to the 11th of November in the Forum. There, they will be collecting all types of sanitary products that will be donated to various shelters around Exeter. It is a cheap and easy way to help what is an increasingly significant issue in your local community.

This must not just be a ‘woman’s issue’. This is the perfect opportunity for men to stand in solidarity with women and attempt to tackle the stigma behind periods. So make you sure go along to the Forum next week and show that menstruation matters by providing a pad

To find out more about Provide a Pad and keep up with their campaigns and donation drives, check out their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/provideapad/?fref=ts

20 year old Liberal Arts student at the University of Exeter