This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The Forbes 100 Most Powerful Women is published once a year, releasing a string of impressive, admirable and influential female icons where politicians, CEO’s and Performing Artists are commonplace careers. The celebration of these women remains fundamental in reminding us to appreciate and value the achievements of women across the globe.

But…

Often those with the greatest impact on our lives lie far closer to home: our teachers, relatives, partners, colleagues… Far too frequently, the focus on studies, work and the fast pace of life makes it increasingly difficult to remember to acknowledge the strength, kindness, and wisdom that many women we see everyday possess, along with their praiseworthy achievements.

So…

When we take a step back and use this moment to write down a simple story of one of the many powerful woman we have encountered, there is a truly inspirational, tear-jerking, and insightful result, with stories of courage, perseverance and a reoccurring theme of overcoming the struggles that life cruelly throws at us. Some examples can be seen below:

Polly, Business and Management student, University of Exeter

“The powerful woman in my life is my sister who, in a male dominated industry, proved her expertise and ability as a Mathematics and Meteorology student, and again in graduate life as a Software Engineer. Her determination to pursue STEM subjects from a young age has always inspired me and those around her to pursue our passions despite challenges and obstacles that may be faced.”

Mia, Psychology student, Bournemouth University

“The powerful woman in my life is my Mum who has chosen to carry on with education at 50 years old, whilst working full time, despite many people discouraging her. She has continued to persevere and has achieved Distinctions in all of her units thus far.” For those curious, Mia’s mum is currently studying for her Masters in Positive Psychology.

Rick, Business Management student, University of Exeter

“The powerful woman in my life is the President of the Business and Finance Society. She is the first female president to take on leadership roles. She has successfully shaped the society, bringing in many great ideas which has helped us achieve over 700 members.”

Allie, Mathematics student, Cardiff University

“The powerful woman in my life is my Mother, who are the age of 40 made a drastic career changes from being a shiatsu practitioner to become a midwife. At the age of 50 she re-trained to get her degree as a Health Visitor, and is now looking into a degree in child mental health at the age of 56. She shows me that it is never too late to pursue your dreams”

Beth, Global Sustainable Development and Business student, University of Warwick

“My friend Arifa is the most powerful woman I know. She has strongly formed opinions and knows how to back them up and is not afraid to share them, whilst still respecting other people’s views. As a result, people treat her with respect and she knows how to command a room of people.”

Lowena, Business and Management student, University of Exeter

“It’s awfully overdone and cringey, but the most inspirational woman in my life will always be my Mum. Sadly, she passed away from cancer in 2013, but I’ll always remember her as the most fun, artsy, caring and hilarious human being. She was powerful in lots of ways, but most notably she never let people tell her she couldn’t do something and would ALWAYS defend those who were more vulnerable – I’ll never forget how hard she worked in her career and how hard she worked for her family! Also, when she was little she pushed her brother in a pond for being rude to her – I wasn’t alive but I loved hearing about her breaking down those sweet and girly stereotypes from an early age.”

George, Design and Engineering student, Bournemouth University

“The most inspirational woman in my life is my girlfriend. A multitude of reasons spring to mind but a highlight is that she is so focused on her goals and can remove all negative comments or feedback. A prime example of this is she is persistently told how studying Psychology isn’t a scientific subject, yet can easily ignore the repetitive criticism as she is incredibility passionate and strong willed. Her strong resolve and independence will enforce her success down this career path and for this reason, she is the most inspirational woman I know.”

Leyla, Law student, University of Exeter

“For me, my Mother is the most amazing woman in my life. She moved from England to Portugal at a young age without previously experiencing the culture and knowing no English. Despite the challenges, she has had a successful career and built a loving family. Her journey has showed me that it is possible to overcome obstacles in life if you persevere.”

Ella, Politics and International Relations student, Aston University

“One of the most powerful women in my life is my cousin, who is the most amazing mother to and carer of her son – a sufferer of sever cerebral palsy. Every day, they are faced with new challenges, yet she remains one of the strongest, most defiant women I know.”

Emily, Business Management Student, University of Exeter

“The powerful woman in my life is my Mum. As CEO of the charity Key4Life, she is always giving back to so many people and is such an inspiration to all.”

Grace, Business student, University of the West of England

“The powerful woman in my life is my Mum – with very little help from others and a whole lot on her shoulders, she’s done nothing but the best for me and my sister, supporting us through everything even when it was difficult to support herself. I don’t know where I’d be without her.”

Sophie, University of Exeter

“A powerful woman in my life is my little sister, who regardless of what doctors told my parents when she was born, has proved she can be more than a girl with a disability, shown through sitting her GCSE’s this year.”

Vicky, Business and Management student, University of Exeter

“The most powerful woman in my life is my Mother. She has always provided love, warmth and guidance to everyone she meets. In a world which may sometimes forget small, everyday pleasantries, I am inspired by her ability to extend empathy to whoever she encounters.”

Francesca, Primary Education Student, University of St Mark & St John

“The powerful woman in my life is my Mum who, despite her area of work becoming increasingly difficult, still radiates passion for looking after those who need it most.”

Isabella, Law student, University of Exeter

“My Grandmother is the most powerful woman I know. She has been there for me whenever I have needed her and has never hesitated to extend her kindness and empathy towards me and everyone she knows.”

Chloe, Administrative Worker

“My Mum is the most powerful woman in my life because she raised my brother and I independently whilst my Dad worked away from home. Without her, I would not have such a deep rooted sense of right from wrong and how to be kind to everyone I meet. She has been the biggest influence on who I am as a person and for that she is a powerful woman.”

A big thank you to those who contributed stories. I would encourage those that haven’t already, take a moment and write their own “The Powerful Women in my Life…” story.