This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Sunday comes around again and you’re probably planning to devote most of your day to recovering from a night you can barely remember at the Lemmy – old episodes of gossip girl and lots of nutella are standard practice.  However with a little bit of planning and teamwork you and your flatmates could be having the kind of Sunday you can boast about to your worried parents, who are still not sure you know how to use a washing machine! A simple roast dinner (complete with Yorkshire puds of course) is the perfect way to end your lazy Sunday. This may sound a little scary, especially to  those freshers who’ve only just mastered how to boil an egg, but roast dinners really are one of the easiest meals to make, you basically just stick everything in the oven – simple!

So how to begin?

1) Get your housemates on board. They shouldn’t be hard to persuade – who says no to a Sunday roast? Get everyone to put in a couple of quid and you’re good to go!

2) Go to the supermarket on Saturday with a couple of your more helpful housemates (or if organisation isn’t exactly your thing, make a quick dash to town before the shops shut on Sunday). Buy a  prepared, stuffed chicken (they’re about £6, feed roughly 6-7 people and mean you don’t have to mess around with stuffing or giblets, phew!), a big bag of potatoes, frozen Yorkshires and some veg. If you have any money left over buy some Ben and Jerry’s for when you’re all sobbing over Downton later…

[pagebreak]

3)  Get started a couple of hours before you want to eat otherwise you won’t end up eating til 9oclock at night. Begin with the chicken – follow the cooking instructions on the packing and stick it in the oven. Next, turn your attention to the potatoes. Potentially the best part of a roast dinner, Her Campus recommends you take some expert advice in order to have truly great roasties; Jamie Oliver shows you how to get the perfect roast potatoes here. Whilst you’re waiting for your potatoes to boil get your housemates to cut up your veg into roughly equal chunks so that you can just chuck them onto the same tray as your potatoes and roast them altogether.

4) Once everything’s in the oven, set a timer, get in your onesie and relax. 10 minutes before it’s all ready, pop some frozen peas in the microwave and put on the kettle to make your gravy. Once the gravy and peas are done, all you need to do is take everything out of the oven, serve up and dig in!

Didn’t catch Downtown last week? Catch up here and make sure you check back for next week’s review!

Photo Credits: www.pinterest.com, www.jamieoliver.com 

Hi, I'm Iona! I'm 21 and am studying English at Exeter University. Passionate about food, travelling and exercise; I love to sharing my experiences and writing about all of these things (and more!). Absolute dream career would be PR. Enjoy my ramblings...