This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and no we’re not talking about Christmas, we’re talking about the party season. Here at HCX we love nothing more than a glittering ball. The music, the wine, the photo opportunities, the sparkles, the dashing men in tuxedos – are just some of the reasons why we can never say no to a party. But the main reason we love a ball? The clothes of course. Whether it’s lace or silk, sequins or satin, long or short, tight or loose, we just can’t get enough of shopping for dresses. But with so many choices out there, we thought we’d make our own party season style guide to ensure that no matter what the theme or occasion, you’re sure to be the belle of the ball.                                                                          

The Roaring 20s 

Champagne, cocktails, glitter and glamour. HCX’s 2015 Christmas Ball theme- The roaring 20s is all the rage this year and we can see why. The perfect glittering array of style and sophistication, everyone can party like Gatsby for a night with this fabulous theme, and we can’t wait to drape ourselves in feathers and pearls and dance the night away (hopefully) with a dreamy and handsome Gatsby-esque man on our arm. If you want to look fabulous and flirty while doing the Charleston, look no further than a timeless flapper style dress like this one from Little Black Dress. Contrasting colours of gold and black will give your look a festive touch, while bedazzling sequins will make you sparkle and shine.                                                             

Masquerade Ball 

There’s nothing quite like the thrill of wearing a mask to add some excitement to a night, and a masked ball is the epitome of glamour and elegance. With secrecy and champagne, the word ‘Bond girl’ comes to mind, and nothing says Bond like a tight fighting embellished dress like this one from ASOS. A long sweeping dress is the ideal thing to show off those curves, and intricate sparkles add a fabulous statement that would make Daniel Craig proud to dance the night away with you. Add a lacy black mask to finish off this sultry but sexy look. 

Winter Wonderland 

A classic and traditional winter party theme that will never go out of style, Winter Wonderland is the perfect excuse to give yourself that Cinderella make over you’ve always secretly wanted. Snowflakes, sparkles and splashes of silver may be cliché but we love it anyway. In order to achieve the perfect snow queen look, we recommend this dress from Chi Chi London. A delicate and stylish combination of icy floating lace will give you a classic effortless wintery look that will send chills down every guys’ spine.                                                            

Cirque Du Soleil 

A festive and fantastical spectacle of bright colours, shining lights, sparkling sequins and explosive fireworks. A Cirque du Soleil theme is the perfect excuse to let out your fun side with some bold prints and shocking colours. This eye catching dress from New Look is a must for such a dazzling theme. This ravishing red will look spectacular against a glittering back drop and the embellished neckline gives a subtle shimmer that will make you the star of the show. 

Hollywood

Nothing says glamour like Hollywood, with its celebrities, red carpets and flashing lights, making it the perfect theme to get you feeling fabulous. More importantly it’s the perfect excuse to dress to the nines with the most daring, spectacular and striking gown you can find. If you want to look like a movie star we recommend this stunning dress from ASOS. Bedecked in midnight coloured sequins, this gorgeous backless dress will make sure you’re read carpet ready. Angelina Jolie eat your heart out. 

Photo Credits: 

Pinterest

Ax Paris

Bethany is a third year english student studying at Exeter University and is the Fashion and Beauty Editor for Exeter's chapter of Her Campus. In between shopping for the latest trends and reading the latest celebrity gossip and fashion news, she enjoys working out and improving on her fitness. Bethany is also a keen photographer, often seen snapping photos of the night sky and friends. She dreams of travelling the world and discovering its couture, food and sites, and ultimately becoming a successful writer.