Oscars 2014: Who Rocked the Red Carpet?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

The red carpet is a renowned a battle field of designer labels, where glamour is in excess and hairspray, we’re sure, is in no short supply. Me? Oh, mine’s a Valentino darling, but only because Calvin’s in Provence.  We can only imagine the amount of double-sided tape and rigging that goes into the maintenance of some of these spectacular dresses. Her Campus Exeter takes a look at the envy-worthy outfits which stood out, and the ones that didn’t quite get it right this time, at the 86th Oscar Academy Awards Ceremony 2014.

The ones who got it right…

White sparkle and embellishment were in abundance at the arrivals, worn by Jessica Biel, Kate Hudson and Jennifer Garner, who gracefully brought the fringed look straight from the catwalk to the red carpet in a gorgeous tiered gown by Oscar de la Renta

Biel also didn’t disappoint, in a fabulous and glittering Chanel Haute Couture dress, frosted with equally impressive Tiffany jewels. However, she was noticeably lacking a certain Timberlake on her arm, which we must say we certainly missed!

Kate Hudson too caught our eye, donning a plunging neckline and a beautiful cape covering her shoulders. Her ice cool gown was created by Versace, and was the perfect combination of sexy and modest that power housed the competition. Kate, we salute you!

[pagebreak]

Opting for a bolder look, Emma Watson was a sultry vision in Vera Wang. Watson oozed sex appeal in a metallic fitted gown, accessorised with a subtle silver clutch bag and understated star hairclips. However, rumour has it Watson gave the onlookers a little more than they bargained for when her dress was slightly sheerer than you perhaps want in the presence of thousands of photographers. Next time, Emma, next time…

And, of course, the beautiful Jennifer Lawrence was a wonder in her peplum style floor length dress, by Dior. A comparably simple style in a fire engine red, Lawrence looked fabulously composed considering she was wearing Neil Lane jewels worth around $3 million, well, at least after recovering from her minor slip out of the car. Again. Oops.

[Pagebreak]

And the ones who didn’t…

Despite Viola Davis looking gorgeous in the luxurious emerald of her Escada designed dress, we’re sure she could have found a slightly more shapely dress, and the satin had a slightly stiff look to it. However, with the Hollywood waves in her hair and a dazzling smile all night, Davis was beautiful nonetheless!

After seeing Jennifer Lawrence show us how to do peplum, we then saw Julia Roberts show us how, um, not to… Usually a hit on the red carpet, Roberts’ black lace dress by Givenchy was a disappointment in comparison to some of her past red carpet looks (think infamous black and white number of the 76th Oscar Awards). From the waist up the dress appeared slightly ill-fitting, and we’re not sure the lace-insert works. We’re sure that she’ll redeem herself next time!

Penelope Cruz, wearing a draped pink dress by Giambattista Valli Couture, was another questionable act. There just seemed to be too much fabric; the half cape looked out of place as did the black belt. Without either, Cruz would have shone as she usually does, and we wish she’d left the ballooning material at home! But, with a flawless up-do and glowing complexion, we can almost forgive her the faux-pas.

And of course, we can’t forget the guys. Hollywood’s finest definitely represented, and did not disappoint. Our favourites included Bradley Cooper, Leonardo Dicaprio (keep trying  Leo!!), Brad Pitt, Zac Efron, and Michael B. Jordan. We always love a man in a suit.

It looked like it was a night to be remembered by all – here’s looking forward to the 87th Oscar Academy Awards!

Photo credits: www.harpersbazaar.com, www.vibe.com

Third year student at Exeter studying English Literature, former writer for Fashion & Beauty and current Deputy Editor of Sex & Relationships.  Welsh born and bred, Lauren's trying to find her away amongst all the southerners, and found her way to Her Campus! When she's not writing, she's usually reading (classic novels and Cosmopolitan alike), and trying to fuel an insatiable coffee addiction!