Opinions on… Using Drugs for Medicinal Purposes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Experimenting with illegal drugs is most commonly associated with the young and rebellious and infamous rockstars. Few people would expect a 70 year old man or a 45 year old mother to be regular cannabis users, however; if they are suffering from a serious illness, such as cancer, does that justify them using illegal drugs to seek relief? Or should drugs that are illegal, because of their dangerous nature, be avoided for that very reason? Opinions on this matter are divided, as two Exeter University students show:

I think that using drugs for medicinal purposes is fine. If it relieves the patient from chronic pain and suffering without causing any additional problems it is not a problem. A lot of legal drugs have potentially serious side effects so when used safely these drugs are no different.”

I think that by allowing certain drugs to be used for some people undermines the fact that they are illegal. It glorifies them and could make them more accessible.”

[pagebreak]

So which drugs do have medicinal purposes?

Heroin was originally designed as an alternative to morphine as a miracle cure for treating chronic pain, such as the type suffered by cancer patients. Heroin can relieve pain and elevate mood faster than morphine, however, its effect is not as long lasting as morphine. A type of heroin is used medically under the chemical name Diamorphine.

Cocaine was once hailed as a wonder drug that could cure a multitude of medical problems. It proved to be an effective anaesthetic for eye, nose and throat procedures.  That said, however, cocaine is not commonly used by medical practitioners as it is believed the risks of the drug outweigh the benefits. 

MDMA or ecstasy as it is also known, has been used to treat anxiety disorders. Scientists at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology argue that ‘MDMA has a combination of pharmacological effects that, in a therapeutic setting, could provide a balance of activating emotions while feeling safe and in control’. Along with this it has also been found effective in helping patients suffering from Parkinson’s and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Like many drugs, it does not come without side effects. Common side effects experienced with MDMA are jaw clenching, extreme thirst and a difficulty concentrating.

Ketamine, an animal tranquilizer has proven to be effective in treating clinical depression. Connecticut Mental Health Centre found that 70% of their test sample, who had previously had no success with other treatments, responded positively to the use of ketamine in treating depression. However, 40% of patients who take ketamine are believed to experience side effects. Short term side effects include hallucinations, nausea, hypertension and tachycardia to name but a few. It is also believed that chronic use of the drug can lead to cognitive problems and memory loss.

Cannabis is the most famous drug for having medicinal qualities, these include: the amelioration of nausea and vomiting, stimulation of hunger in chemotherapy and AIDS patients, lowered intraocular eye pressure and many others. Cannabis has been used and tested as a treatment for a multitude of illnesses such as: breast cancer, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s disease, glaucoma and as a pain reliever. All of that said, however, cannabis does come with side effects. Short term effects can include anxiety and euphoria, whilst it is also believed that long term effects can include schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and major depression.

All the above drugs carry the risk of addiction and prolonged use and possible abuse, will most likely lead to more serious side effects and thus counteract any medicinal benefits that they possess. HCX would like to know where you stand on the debate? Should these drugs be allowed for medicinal purposes? Or should they remain illegal and untouched?

Images credits: www.ecognitive.comewww.oddee.comhttp://www.tampabaycriminaldefenselawyerblog.comwww.opioids.com, www.guardian.co.uk