One Week in Paris: Hot picks from Paris Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Being the home to so many celebrated designers and with a reputation as the style capital of the world, Paris Fashion Week is possibly the most anticipated of them all. This season’s runway shows did not disappoint as numerous designers showcased their designs for their Spring/Summer 2013 collections. Here are our favourite collections and stand-out pieces from Paris Fashion Week including the beautiful, the brilliant and the downright bizarre!

1. CELINE

The Celine show was a monochrome affair, using different materials such as leather and satin instead of bright colours to grab the attention of the front row fashionistas. The variety of textures teamed with tailoring added a refreshing twist to traditional French style. Texture was also a key feature throughout their accessories collection: although the leather bangles created a great grungy look, we’re not convinced by the large selection of furry sandals and heels on show. Anyone else thinking of Bigfoot?

2. VALENTINO

Although not a French designer, Valentino stole the show with their absolutely stunning feminine collection. The midi dress and skirt took centre stage alongside interesting bibs and ladylike peter pan collars, though what really made this collection special was the intricate lace used in so many of the designs. The lace is perfect for summer dresses and the classic flattering 50’s-style cut just oozes glamour. This is a look to remember for when Spring rolls around.

3. LOUIS VUITTON

Checkerboards were a huge influence on the LV designs, featuring on both clothes and accessories, which created an extremely playful collection – especially since all models sported a cute Alice band. The colour scheme seemed slightly offbeat: white was teamed with bright green, yellow or camel, adding to the fantasy world feel of the collection. Top picks include sheer checked playsuits and dresses. They may not be practical but they sure are cute!

4. ALEXANDER McQUEEN

Extravagant as always, Alexander McQueen designed by Sarah Burton continues to shock us with this spring/summer collection showcased in Paris. And what better inspiration for spring than bees? Although continuing the Baroque trend with corsets and decadent embroidery, Burton used honeycomb-cut fabric and created beekeeper-style hats which covered the models’ faces. These factors combined with the strong shapes created by high waists and peplums added a flash of drama to the runway.

5. CHANEL

The classic fashion house Chanel always exemplifies typical French style and this season was no exception. Black, white and nude continued to be on the cards but prints and accessories took a lot of inspiration from circular shapes, particularly pearls and polka dots. Traditional Chanel blazers were reimagined in a cropped style, featuring leather or shoulder pads, bringing together the classic and the modern in an extremely refined manner. Chanel bags are always sought after, but Lagerfeld has taken the circular theme to a new level using hula hoops as the frames to his arm candy. Whilst we admire the Godfather of fashion’s interesting take on a handbag, we might pass it up for carrying books around Campus.

If you can’t wait for SS13 to try out these new looks, HerCampus has some suggestions of how to do Parisian chic on the cheap until the summer is upon us again.

For a touch of Chanel try this quilted bag from ASOS (£20). It’s a timeless classic and perfect for nights out.

This monochrome wool blazer will not only be warm over the winter period, but add sharp, structured tailoring to your wardrobe for an endlessly stylish look. Très Celine!

SO many trends for you to try – we’re excited to see your choices on the catwalk that is Longbrook Street!

Georgie Hazell is a final year Anthropology and International Politics student at the University of Exeter, UK. Georgie became involved with Her Campus during her semester studying abroad at the College of William & Mary, along with Rocket (the campus fashion magazine), Trendspotters (the campus fashion TV show) and Tri Delta sorority. She hopes to pursue a career in media or marketing in the future. Georgie has a passion for travel and experiencing new cultures, and spent five months travelling the world on her Gap Year.