This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

It has recently been brought to light that a 17 year old girl, Lindsay Armstrong, was raped in a park at night by a 13 year old boy, unable to fight him off due to a crippling back condition she has had since birth. During his trial, his defense attorney and the judicial system humiliated her and slut shamed her, even forcing her to hold up the underwear she wore on the night of her rape as evidence. They suggested, and we quote, “you have to look at the way she was dressed. She was wearing a thong with a lace front”. This young girl was so shamed, and traumatised, that she committed suicide.

Her Campus Exeter will not stand for this kind of injustice. Another similar case in Ireland has prompted fury the world over, introducing the slogan #ThisIsNotConsent. Especially with a rising number of sexual assaults and attacks on Exeter’s streets, and the powerful political figures of the Western world believing it’s okay to “grab women by the p*ssy”, it is more important now, than ever, to make rape victims feel believed and supported, both in a pastoral sense, and in reassuring them that justice will be served. 

Even more than this, we must stop this kind of sexual violence once and for all. 

The HCX 2018/19 committee believes we cannot let this case go forgotten, and it must be talked about. Several of our editors have come together to contribute their own thoughts and feelings about this case, and to encourage the women of Exeter not only to band together, but to come forward if they have experienced rape or sexual assault, and to feel safe and secure in doing so.

What is Consent?

When I read the news regarding this case, my heart truly just sank. Not only for the young woman who had to endure this horrendous ordeal, but for its symbolic meaning relating to feminism and humanity as a whole.

Despite our differences in life choices and opinions, I again fell into the naivety in thinking perhaps we were making progress in respecting each other as human beings, drawing a line between right and wrong. Yet, this case just proves again how little scope a woman’s voice can have in our so-called justice system. While I wouldn’t want to make any assertions about a case of which its details I am uneducated on, the fundamental principle on which the barrister based using underwear as indication of consent upon, baffles and downright disgusts me.

Consent is consent; not a garment, a look, or an assumption. It is that simple. 

– President, Claudia Bruce

Freedom and Respect

In my sixth form, girls were told not to wear tops which exposed their shoulders because it was inappropriate and would distract the boys. While I agree that certain clothing is not appropriate for the work place or a school, the idea that we should censor ourselves for the sake of the male gaze is a dangerous message to send to women.

Our bodies are our own. It is as much an aspect of freedom of speech to wear the clothes we want as it is to post whatever we wish on social media. Furthermore, have you ever heard of a man being warned not to wear such a tight fitting shirt for the sake of not ‘distracting’ and attracting women?

In condemning this young girl and declaring that she warranted her violent treatment, society has once again demonstrated the ingrained sexism and inequality that exists towards women. No one, not ever, neither wishes or ‘deserves’ to be raped – an horror too terrifying to put into words. To then be told that it was her own fault, it is no wonder that this girl rejected society and took her own life.

This cannot continue. Women’s freedom and respect must be recognised in our societies, and men must accept the crimes they commit against us, and against their own morality.

-Current Affairs Editor, Katie Tincello

A Culture of Victim Shaming

What is so distressing about this case is the lack of accountability for the boy who raped this young girl. She was publicly shamed in court, and forced to hold up the underwear she was raped in. I can’t even begin to imagine how traumatic this must have been, and I am in awe of the amount of women and men who have spoken out against this. It takes so much courage to come forward and victims of rape should feel as though they will be heard when they speak out, and the members of the court who contributed to humiliating this young girl should be aware of how damaging their actions were. Not only did she take her own life, but this will reaffirm for many victims why they shouldn’t speak out.

There is a culture of shaming women into thinking that being assaulted was their fault, and this attitude needs to change. Even in my experience at University, being touched or harassed on a night out isn’t out of the ordinary for most girls, and if you confront the situation you are seen as being aggressive and over reacting.

Instead of preaching to girls about what they need to do to not get raped, the focus needs to be put on educating young boys about consent and appropriate behaviour, and the judicial system needs to demonstrate that rape is a serious offence and will be treated as one. As disheartening as cases like these are, I urge anyone who has been a victim of rape or sexual assault to report it, or at least seek support.

-Health and Fitness Editor, Hannah Preece

The Need for a New Education

One of the most most dreadful things about this specific case is not only that this innocent girl was forced, like a criminal, to stand and show her underwear to a full court house, suggesting that a boy was justified in raping her, but that his attorney, and the judge of the case, were both female. In a world where women have to stick together, humiliating this young woman was deemed acceptable, and within the bounds of law. 

And should we not ask, why would her underwear have anything to do with this young boy’s attack? Underwear is worn under clothes, and is not typically on show. I have bought underwear. It’s an enjoyable experience. I go and choose something because I like the fabric, or the way it makes me feel, or because I have a matching bra that goes well. I have never, ever, stood in an underwear shop and considered buying something with the thought: “but will this get me raped?” Nor should we have to.

Maybe the question is, why is consent not on the curriculum? Why, when I was taught sex education, did I have to learn that women, and men, could be raped, through a film I watched in a history class, where a non sex-ed teacher had to explain to a class of secondary school girls that rape was ‘a thing’. Why was I told that the best way not to get pregnant, or sick, was just to ‘not have sex’, when, it seems, it might not always be my choice. 

It is too late for those of us who have already had sex education, and for this young woman who lost her life, but it is not too late for those who have yet to be educated. Instead of teaching girls and young boys to be wary of rape, why should we not just teach that rape is NEVER okay, no matter if she’s wearing a lacy thong or a pair of cotton briefs. Most importantly, we need to teach that if rape does happen, that the victim is NOT to blame. 

If rape victims cannot feel safe and cared for enough to come forward, then the plight of this young woman, and many others, will never end. 

– Vice President, Bryony Watts

Here at Her Campus we give our full, and unending support to anyone who has experienced any form of rape, or sexual abuse. Please know that there are always places for you to go, and that people will believe and support you. There are several hotlines, and places to go or call if something like this has happened to you in Exeter, and they are listed below: 

Devon Rape Crisis and Sexual Abuse Services

NHS- The Oak Centre- Sexual Assault Clinic in Exeter

• The Oak Centre, Hawkins House, Exeter, EX2 5SS
  • 01392 436967

Exeter University Hotlines

• Dignity and Respect Advisers: Lizzie Sherwood 01392 722094
  • The Wellbeing Centre: 01392 724381 

• The Residence Life Team: residencelife@exeter.ac.uk.

Devon and Exeter Police

• Call 999 in immediate danger
  • 18001 101 help line to report a rape or sexual assault

Rape Crisis England

• 0808 802 9999 (12-2:30 and 7-9:30)

Women Against Rape

If you do not feel comfortable talking to any of these people, please tell a trusted friend, parent, or guardian. 

The only way this stops is with a voice of change. Ours, and yours. No matter if you’re male or female, help HCX put an end to sexual violence, and to honour the memory of Lindsay Armstrong. 

Third year English student and aspiring journalist! My talents include; successfully quoting almost any Friends episode; getting excited about Christmas in October, (every year without fail), and owning one too many Bobbi Brown lipsticks. I mean, is there such a thing as too many?!
I'm Claudia, a third year Politics student at the University of Exeter, who loves all things Her Campus!
I am a third year English Lit student at The University of Exeter.
Exeter University Student, studying English Literature and Spanish Athlete and Foodie (see @what.katie.does98 on Instagram) The future Kate Addie...