#NoMakeupSelfie: “OMG I’ve Just Been Nominated”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Exeter chapter.

Last month saw a huge trend across the web which took hold of Facebook, and the expression “let me just put my face on” definitely had no place. With 125,000 Google hits featuring it, the #NoMakeupSelfie definitely took off, and caught our eye here at Her Campus. Our Facebook timelines and Twitter feeds were buzzing with everybody who was anybody (albeit, some begrudgingly) getting their slap off to raise awareness for Cancer Research UK. It remains a mystery where the trend initiated, as the cancer charity itself was not the instigating party. But unsurprisingly there was immediate discord amongst the Facebookers, Tweeters and bloggers alike, who became divided in their reactions to their internet friends uploading their bare-faced pictures, and this raises the question: was the #NoMakeupSelfie trend an altruistic strategy with the pure aim of raising cancer awareness, a platform for attention-seekers, compliment-fishers, and the general vanity which the “selfie culture” promotes?

Amongst the thronging crowds of the public to get it off for charity, we saw the bare faces of celebrity figures including Holly Willoughby, Michele Keegan and Kim Marsh, all of whom posted their selfies on the web with enthusiasm, although we must admit that some appeared more au natural than others (pointing no fingers!). And here at Her Campus, we loved it! We girls aren’t stupid; we know that a lot of effort goes into the glamorous looks we featured in the magazines, but it’s always a great reality check to see what they really look like! What? The members of the gilded celebrity culture – *gasp* –  have flaws too?? We love that as it turns out the celeb girls are just like us, and what better excuse to show it than to promote awareness and raise money for Cancer Research UK?

Sadly though, not everybody felt the same. There was great backlash from the trend, with many frustrated internet users claiming that the aim of raising funds and charity awareness was being corrupted, used in vain by those clawing for attention. Others felt that the nomination element of the trend put the pressure on girls who don’t feel as confident bare-faced as others do, and actually is the picture really the point? Surely me posting a “fresh out of bed” selfie isn’t contributing that much – I’ll just donate the money and be done with it. 

Whatever your perspective on the matter, the success of the #NoMakeupSelfie trend has been undeniable. With popularity quickly spreading, within the first 24 hours CRUK received an astounding £1 million in donations which quickly escalated to £8 million after just 6 days! Even the lads got on board, opting for a similar “Makeup Selfie”, which apparently involved a lot of red lipstick, and something to do with a sock…  

Whether some participants took their nomination as an excuse to flaunt their perfect complexions and get “likes” on Facebook seems irrelevant when you think of the massive increase of money raised, which otherwise would not have been possible. We love the natural look, and it’s great to see the internet being used for something positive for a change. Here at Her Campus we’re proud to have been a part of it! Go on girls!

Photo Credits: www.feminspire.com, www.dailymail.com

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk

Third year student at Exeter studying English Literature, former writer for Fashion & Beauty and current Deputy Editor of Sex & Relationships.  Welsh born and bred, Lauren's trying to find her away amongst all the southerners, and found her way to Her Campus! When she's not writing, she's usually reading (classic novels and Cosmopolitan alike), and trying to fuel an insatiable coffee addiction!